Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist
The closing date is 30 June 2023
At MPFT we pride ourselves on staff wellbeing and development and can offer you:
- Our SOOTHE resources - supporting staff across the trust with their physical, mental and financial health. In addition to the support offered from our occupational health provider Team Prevent.
- Counselling support and lifestyle information with advice on a variety of personal matters
- "In our Gift" providing a platform for your voice to be heard to inform change
- The opportunity to purchase additional annual leave
- Opportunities for flexible working
- Career development opportunities and coaching plus access to in house training programs
- Innovative research training program entitled STARS (Supporting the advancement of Research Skills)
- Recognition and engagement through our staff LOVE awards, LOVE long service awards and Staff Engagement Surveys
- NHS discounts available via the Blue Card and Red Guava schemes
For this post we will offer
- MPFT will offer an additional 20%welcome to MPFT bonus', 10% on joining us and 10% after a period of 12 months service.
- An equivalent allowance can be offered which will enable the individual to pay for yearly professional registration fees up to £120.00 per year
- A contribution for relocation fees is also available upon application.
- Salary on appointment.
- Individual learning fund.
- Lease car scheme.
- Generous NHS pension scheme.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for a highly skilled and motivated consultant forensic or general adult psychiatrist to work within the multidisciplinary teams within HMP Isle of Wight. You will provide clinical leadership to our Inclusion team in the prison who provide mental health care and psychosocial substance misuse interventions to our prison populations. This will involve, but is not limited to, undertaking psychiatric clinics to offer evidence based diagnostic formulations and management plans, supporting MDT meetings and undertaking interagency liaison; particularly where a referral to an appropriate hospital setting is deemed necessary. You will need to demonstrated excellent time management and organisational skills given the highly unpredictable nature of the patient group.
You will have exceptional diagnostic, management and risk assessment skills to support the care of the prisoners who enter our service. You will be supported to contribute to quality improvement activities within the prisons, together with having opportunities to support research and to the development and training of medical students, junior doctors and other health professionals
You should have the following::
- Experience of working in a prison setting
- Be registered as a medical practitioner
- Have a genuine passion for working with prisoners
- Be able to work well in a team
Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (MPFT) is an award winning organisation with over 9000 employees. We are one of the largest integrated Health and Social Care providers, covering services across North & South Staffordshire, Shropshire, Hampshire, Buckinghamshire, Isle of Wight and Essex.
Demonstrating our strong commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, and in context of our objective aligned to the growth of diversity across the workforce; we are particularly seeking applications from individuals who may be from under-represented groups, such as black, Asian or other ethnic groups, individuals with a disability, or LGBTQ+ individuals who meet the specific criteria.
We are embedding values based and inclusive recruitment practices to ensure that all applicants, from any backgrounds, have an equal chance of success in achieving a role with us.
10 May 2023
Hospital medical and dental staff
£88,364 to £119,133 a year per annum
HMP Isle of Wight
55 Parkhurst Road
Working in a multi-disciplinary team and in partnership with prison and Practice Plus Group colleagues you will
- Provide specialist assessment, diagnosis and treatment of prisoners
- Provide clinical leadership to the multidisciplinary team
- Provide clinical leadership to risk management processes
- Support the onward referral and discharges of patients where appropriate
- Be responsible for an agreed case load
- Respond to and inform referrers / other professionals and responsible adults as necessary on decisions, care plans, policy and best practice
- Full GMC registration.
- CCT in Forensic or General Adult Psychiatry OR Eligible for inclusion on the Specialist Register (higher trainees should be within six months of CCT at the time of interview)
- Previous prison psychiatry experience
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
HMP Isle of Wight
55 Parkhurst Road
For questions about the job, contact:
Medical Lead, Inclusion Prisons Directorate
Dr Matt Tovey