NHS Professionals Limited
This job is now closed
Job Title: Medical Secretary
Trust Location: Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust
Location: Ormskirk Hospital, L39 2AZ
Would you like to be a part of a team that works well together, always there to help each other? If you answered yes, then Southport and Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust is the place for you.
About the Trust
Mersey & West Lancashire Hospital NHS Trust provides healthcare in hospital and the community to 258,000 people across Southport, Formby, and West Lancashire. Acute care is provided at Southport and Formby District General Hospital and Ormskirk District General Hospital. This includes adults and childrens accident and emergency services, intensive care, and a range of medical and surgical specialities. Womens and childrens services, including maternity, are provided at Ormskirk hospital. The Northwest Regional Spinal Injuries Centre at Southport hospital provides specialist care for spinal patients from across the North West, North Wales, and the Isle of Man.
Main duties of the job
- Support the day-to-day organisation, planning and management responsibilities of the Consultants and their teams through the maintenance of their annual leave, their diary, the arrangement of meetings, travel, and other appointments.
- To act as first point of contact for patients, GPs, external organisations and members of the public seeking information and support from the hospital. The post holder must be able to triage the calls appropriately as well as deal sympathetically with people who may be bereaved, distressed or angry using tact, persuasion, and discretion, assessing priorities and initiating action as required.
- Answer telephone queries and provide non-clinical advice regarding patient care and appointments/admissions to patients, Trust staff, referring GPs and Consultants, making appropriate judgement using acquired knowledge and experience.
- Communicate with patients/parents regarding personal and highly sensitive information.
- Typing urgent clinical and non-clinical correspondence and reports including the transcription and management of audio sources (eg, digital dictation) using initiative in managing and prioritising workload.
- Compose routine and non-routine letters and produce typed clinical correspondence including the transcription of audio dictation.
- Attend, take and transcribe minutes for meetings as required within the specialty and implement any follow-up action points.
Here at NHS Professionals, we run England's largest NHS staff bank and are experts at putting people in places to care. Every year we help thousands of dedicated and highly skilled NHS workers enjoy better career opportunities, more flexible shifts, and a healthier work-life balance across our partnered Trusts.
As a member of NHS Professionals, you have fantastic benefits:
- Competitive pay rates- work this week, get paid next week
- Essential support when you need it- 24/7 365 days- call us anytime
- Multi locational- work across neighbouring Trusts
- Manage your shifts and timesheets on the go- access your My Bank shift portal anywhere, anytime online or through your smartphone
- Varied working options to suit your lifestyle- access to the Bank gives you options of ad hoc shifts or longer-term placements
- Training and development opportunities- Keep up with the essentials and more
- Stakeholder pension scheme available- a flexible future for you and yours
Please note, you will be contacted by email throughout the recruitment process, so please check your emails, including your junk/spam regularly. We regret we cannot contact everyone who is not selected for an interview, therefore if you do not hear from us within 21 days after submitting your application, please assume you have not been successful on this occasion.
NHS Professionals manage your data, please see our Privacy Notice on our website.
Please find attached a copy of the full job description under the supporting documents section for this job advert, this has been provided by the Hiring Manager.