Anaesthetic Lead - Margate (South East)
Spencer Private Hospitals Ltd
This job is now closed
Thank you for considering a position within Spencer Private Hospitals (SPH) Ltd. We are a healthcare organisation which is genuinely passionate about delivering nothing less than excellence. Particularly patient care that exceeds all expectations. We are fortunate that we have a bespoke team who are valued and well respected by our patients, the board, peers and other stakeholders. We also recognise that the right team are our greatest asset.
Interview Date: 15th June 2023
Main duties of the job
Spencer Private Hospital in Margate is a private establishment operating out of a 22 bedded ward. Theatre access is in the main NHS site adjacent to SPH which allows for the more complex of surgeries to be carried out when compared to other private providers. We utilise both main theatres and day case provision seven days a week. Monday to Friday the theatre activity is from 17:00 onwards and all day each Saturday and Sunday. Case mix is across the spectrum of surgical care, provided by our Consultant team.
We are looking to enhance our substantive theatre team through the appointment of an Anaesthetic Lead.
We are an Investor in People recognising that our workers are our best commodity. We aim to ensure that organisation has the right blend of talent, motivation and leadership to drive our services forward positively
Our care is all Consultant led with us accommodating NHS as well as private patients into our beds. Care is delivered equitably irrespective of means with patient satisfaction being high.
Our CQC rating of Good was one of the first in the country to be awarded to an independent provider and we are striving to achieve Outstanding when the CQC chose to visit next time.
We welcome fresh faces and talent into the organisation and look forward to having you as part of the team.
Spencer Private Hospitals recognise and value all of their staff and are committed to developing a well-trained and flexible workforce.
Staff wellbeing is a priority for the organisation with some perks of employment being -
- Free on-site staff car parking
- Staff discount for treatments
- Enrolment into a staff pension scheme
- Generous annual staff education finance
- Annual salary increment
- Additional benefits available in line with our NHS colleagues
- Local retail discounts
- Salary sacrifice schemes
We are also fortunate enough to be based in East Kent, arguably one of the most beautiful parts of the UK, often boasting the best weather due to our close proximity to Western Europe and is aptly know by the missive `the Garden of England. We are a short hop across the channel to France with the added bonus of fast rail connections to Europe, London and surrounding areas. The availability of high-quality schools which support grammar school education as well as academy and private schools are all available within the locality.
Spencer Private Hospitals is an equal opportunity employer. This position is subject to a Disclosure and Barring check.
04 May 2023
£42,300 to £44,600 a year Dependent upon qualifications and experience
Full-time, Annualised hours
Units 2 & 4 Almond House
Betteshanger Country Park
Management and Leadership
- To effectively manage the implementation of changes, which may be required by the organisation.
- To liaise with Consultants regarding clinical preferences, techniques, procedures, theatre usage and equipment requirements and bring, where necessary, the same to the attention to the Head of Clinical Services
- To ensure patient documentation reflects the correct procedures undertaken (OPCS codes)
- To define the anaesthetic staffing requirements for theatres to fulfil current and future clinical and business requirements.
- To allocate workloads to staff which are appropriate to their skill, experience and competence.
- To instruct anaesthetic staff so that they understand their individual professional obligations and responsibilities as laid down by the Professional Codes of Conduct.
- To monitor clinical practice to ensure that clinical standards conform to the Professional Codes and to the standards required by the hospital.
- To provide direct supervision and coaching to staff in their work planning and their clinical practice as appropriate to their experience and competence.
- To control the allocation and flow of work in anaesthetic department so that standards are preserved, and services are provided to other departments and customers in a timely fashion.
- To record and maintain accurate and comprehensive information on staffing and workload.
- To maintain excellent communication within all departments of the hospital and the NHS Trust.
- To provide hands on clinical duties to lead the service.
- To identify, plan and implement service development opportunities in order to grow the volume and profitability of the service in line with targets set by the Head of Clinical Services.
- Provide advice and guidance to the pre-assessment team to ensure patient safety.
- To be clinically competent in all aspect of your role
- Use clinical knowledge and skills to provide specialist advice and support to peer group staff, patients and relatives
- To undertake clinical activities which provide opportunities to act as a role model to staff by own professional practice and behaviour
- To monitor, supervise and mentor other staff in their assessment and care planning, as appropriate to their individual competence
- To provide direct supervision and mentoring to staff in their work planning and their clinical practice as appropriate to their experience and competence
- To monitor practice against policies and procedures relating to high risk activities, to ensure that they are implemented and accurately practised
- Maintain excellent relationships with all Consultant and medical staff in order to resolve problems and identify opportunities
- To maintain patient care standards and to effectively implement changes to care delivery systems, methods and nursing practice in order to bring about improvements in the quality of care
- Participate in research and audit and to implement actions identified from quality initiatives
- Lead and support the anaesthetic team through the process of change demonstrating tenacity, drive, professional integrity, balance and perspective
- Act as an advocate for patients within theatre care, to ensure a patient orientated approach to the delivery of care and to meet standards within relevant guidelines
- To ensure resources are used to maximum effect and revenue capture is assured
- To monitor staffing timesheets and to ensure all costs are crossed charged to other departments where appropriate
- To be fully demonstrate competence in financial control procedures relating to stock and equipment
- To ensure consistently that departmental resources are used economically and efficiently
- To help identify, plan and project lead service development opportunities in order to grow the volume and profitability of the service in line with targets set by the Theatre Manager.
- To effectively manage the implementation of change required by the organisation
- To advise and help on suggestions for new equipment purchase
- To act appropriately and effectively upon the results of clinical audit and monitoring processes and to produce an improvement strategy based on the findings
- To be aware and adhere to the policies and procedures as set down by the SPH, including regulations regarding Health & Safety, COSHH, NMC Codes of Practice and CQC
- To ensure practice is consistent with Professional Code of Conduct
- To provide hands on lead clinical duties to support the services.
- To act as the patients, advocate when necessary
- To formulate theatre policies and procedures and ensure same are ratified and updated in accordance with SPH policy
- To attend Head of Department meetings, Clinical Governance, Health & Safety meetings and disseminate information in the absence of the Theatre Manager
- Maintain written records of objectives, action plans and evaluation of programmes
- To create, in conjunction with the Theatre Manager, a professional, friendly working environment reflecting the needs of patients, individual consultant users and members of the teams
- To identify theatre activities of high criticality in terms of risk management
- To maintain a quality service by facilitating the setting, maintaining and monitoring of standards
- To contribute to the analysis and investigation of incidents, accidents and complaints and to implement action plans to prevent recurrence
- To work to ensure that all aspects of product liability are incorporated into formal working practices
- To establish and maintain effective storage and retrieval systems for information
- To present and project a professional image at all times in terms of dress, appearance and personal conduct
- To undertake any other appropriate duties delegated by the or in the absence of the Theatre Manager
- Be accountable for the safety of the environment for patients in your care
- Ensure all equipment has been serviced and maintained in accordance with manufacturer’s guidelines and internal hospital policies
- To maintain good communications with all departments within Spencer Private Hospitals and NHS Trust.
- To lead, participate and contribute in regular unit meetings
- To manage the theatre department in the absence of the Theatre Manager
- To assist in the development of an effective recruitment and retention strategy in order to maintain a quality workforce
- To continuously assess latest professional and technical developments and reflect these as appropriate in the theatre objectives
- Responsibility for carrying out team members personal development discussions (PDD) with reviews as laid down by team and personal objectives, meeting company policy and feedback to the Theatre Manager
- To ensure the appropriate skills mix of staff is allocated to the team providing an agreed standard to patients
- To provide appropriate supervision and direction to staff according to their individual capabilities and known competencies
- To assist in the induction and training of new members of staff and to ensure competencies are met within an agreed time frame, acting as a mentor or preceptor for new staff within the team
- To provide direct supervision and coaching to staff in their work planning and their clinical practice as appropriate to their experience and competence
- To ensure that own professional knowledge is continuously update
- To participate in in-house training sessions and attend meetings and discussions when required
- Highly developed physical/clinical skills where accuracy is important
- Manual handling of patients and manoeuvring heavy instrumentation and equipment
- Frequent unpleasant working conditions; contact with body fluids, foul linen daily
- Daily contact with substances hazardous to health
- Registered Practitioner with proven experience in an Acute setting
- NMC/HCPC Registered
- Proven experience of time at a senior level
- Management Qualification
- Ability to assess, plan and evaluate patient care
- Knowledge of research and evidence-based practice
- Catalyst for change
- Teaching and assessing/mentorship
- Knowledge of CQC
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Demonstrate competency in anaesthetics, surgery/recovery/
- Provide highly specialised emergency knowledge 24hour theatre cover
- Remain alert and focused for long periods of time
- Long periods of peri-operative concentration
- Checking patients documentation
- Occasional demands and interruptions as co-ordinator of anaesthetic and theatre teams
- IT skills covering word and spreadsheet documents
- Leadership, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Effective oral and written skills
- Ability to work as member of a team and lead accordingly
- Dealing with emergency situations within anaesthetic and operating theatre department
- Post registration theatre experience in private sector dealing with children/adults
- Mentorship or equivalent
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Spencer Private Hospitals Ltd
Units 2 & 4 Almond House
Betteshanger Country Park
https://www.spencerprivatehospitals.com/ (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
Head of Nursing and Quality
Spencer Private Hospitals Ltd's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)