Assistant Service Manager
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Assistant Service Manager
Band 5 £28,407 - £34,581 per annum
Hours: 37.5 per week, all MKUH roles will be considered for flexible working
This post is for an Assistant Service Manager in Medicine where the post holder will be expected to support the Service Manager in the day to day running of the Services in that aligned CSU. The post holder will need to demonstrate initiative, attention to detail, relationship building, communication, team working, data analysis and problem solving. Ideally, the post holder will have knowledge of the NHS, operational targets such as Referral to Treat and Diagnostics, management or understanding of patient pathways and strong computer skills.
This is an amazing opportunity to join a dynamic and supportive team and start a career in NHS Operations. As a team we are encouraging of career development and will help facilitate any training requirements or areas the post holder would like to develop.
Main duties of the job
The Assistant Service Manager will work closely with the Operational and Clinical teams to provide a highly effective and efficient service delivery for the Directorate.
The post holder will have an operational lead role for all administrative functions with additional responsibilities, working under the direction of the Operational team.
The post holder will have a key role in aiding to deliver the operational plan and supporting the Services developing strategies. The post holder will work closely with the Operational and Clinical teams to continuously improve the quality and effectiveness of the services.
The postholder will provide effective service management and day to day operational support.
You can expect a warm welcome at Milton Keynes University Hospital, our staff are friendly and welcoming. We listen to each other and work together to embed our Trusts values and behaviours. At MKUH we appreciate our staff and reward them with an outstanding benefits package including:
- Free on-site parking
- Free tea and coffee
- Great flexible workingopportunities
- Discounted gym membership
- Lease car scheme
- Generous annual leave and pension scheme
- On site nursery (chargeable)
- Extensive staff health and well-being programme
Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, in partnership with the University of Buckingham, is a University Teaching Hospital; we conduct research and teaching on site to improve the care of our patients. The hospital is undergoing significant investment, and we are proud to be rated good by the CQC. Visit our website to catch up on our latest news.
MKUH is committed to equal opportunities and improving the working lives of our staff and as such we offer a range of flexible working practices. We promote an inclusive workforce and encourage applications from applicants from all backgrounds.
We reserve the right to expire vacancies prior to the advertised closing date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
MKUH uses identification scanning technology to confirm the authenticity of documents; all prospective employees of MKUH will have their original documents verified using this technology.
- To assist the Operational team, in the delivery of capacity and capacity plans that provide sufficient capacity to meet anticipated demand and ensure activity and performance targets are met (including 18 weeks RTT, Non-RTT, Priority code compliance, Diagnostic Management). This will include management of PTLs (both 18 week and Diagnostic Management) and Cancer tracking information.
- To support the ongoing management of efficiency, through effective productivity, utilisation (including clinics and diagnostics), staffing, scheduling (including monitoring of short notice cancellations), etc.
- To act as a change agent and role model to challenge motivate and overcome barriers to improve the effectiveness of the departments.
- To design, implement and project manage specific service improvements to enable a more efficient and sustainable service and to support patients being treated within waiting time targets or standards.
Information and data Management
- To utilise quantitative and qualitative information to develop metrics against which the performance of the services can be measured.
- Translate data and manipulate information into a useable and presentable format, drawing conclusions from outputs and presenting to clinical staff as well as service and operational manager.
- Working with the operation team, ensuring the services are financially compliant i.e. reducing reliance on Waiting List Initiatives and additional hour payments.
- To assist with the control of expenditure, ensuring it remains within budget for all clinical/non-clinical areas of responsibility. Ensuring awareness of financial position and Standing Financial Instructions.
- To lead, manage, motivate and develop staff so as to maintain the highest level of morale and to create a climate characterised by high standards and openness.
- To ensure that effective communication arrangements exist at all levels and across organisational boundaries
Please refer to the attached Job Description for more details on the role and responsibilities.