Non-Executive Director - Clinical Background
Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
We are looking to appoint a Non-Executive Director to our Board and are looking for collaborative and strategic candidates to provide support, oversight, governance, and leadership in the pursuit of our vision: "the RUH: where you matter".
The successful candidate will have up-to-date clinical knowledge and experience of delivering healthcare, either within the NHS or the private sector.
You will be a dynamic individual who is progressive, ambitious and driven with a proven record of delivery and able to establish relationships across complex stakeholder landscapes.
You need to be able to commit to spending at least 2.5- 3 days per month to fulfil the role.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Roxy Milbourne, Deputy Head of Corporate Governance via email at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
Closing date for applications is 10th January 2023
Interviews will be held 7th/8th February 2023.
Main duties of the job
Your role will be as a Non-Executive Director on a Unitary Board, agreeing and adopting sound and sustainable strategies, monitoring operational performance and ensuring that the Trust fulfils statutory and legislative responsibilities.
Patient safety and care will be at the centre of your focus, and you will use your professional skills and experience to add value to the governance and strategic development of the Trust, holding executive directors to account while offering collaborative challenge and advice.
We are actively seeking candidates who bring experience of operating at board or strategic level from a range of professional backgrounds. To maintain a balanced Board we are interested in talking to people who have all of the following attributes:- Up-to-date clinical knowledge and experience of delivering healthcare,either within the NHS or the private sector.- Experience of working in a regulated environment.- Experience of leading or managing significant cultural change in theworking environment.
At the RUH we're proud to put people at the heart of what we do, working together as one team to make a difference for our patients, each other, and our community. No matter what your role is, we value everyone's contribution in supporting the exceptional, person-centred care we pride ourselves on.
We are committed to creating a compassionate and inclusive environment. This can be seen in our growing community of staff networks - celebrating successes and creating opportunities to listen and learn. We value our differences, champion kindness and civility, and truly believe that diversity makes us stronger.
A culture of learning, developing and innovating is the thread that runs throughout our whole organisation. We want to support you to thrive, taking your career to its full potential.
We value staff wellbeing, with a well-established programme of support. We believe in a holistic approach spanning all aspects of living a healthy life, including physical, emotional, spiritual and financial wellbeing. We've even got a pool!
We are committed to supporting you and hope you want to join our team. In the meantime, find out more about living and working the beautiful historic city of Bath, learn about our extensive package of staff benefits, and read about how we're providing healthcare fit for the future with the landmark Dyson Cancer Centre and our passion for research.
13 December 2022
Very senior manager (VSM)
£13,000 a year per annum
Please find attached to the vacancy a detailed person specification and job description for further information about this role.
Background and Experience
- Board level experience in a large, complex organisation
- Sufficient time to fulfil the requirements of the post
- Eligible to be a member of the NHS Foundation Trust
- Meet the independence criteria for Non-Executive Directors* and meet the Fit and Proper Persons Requirement as defined in the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulation of Regulated Activities) (Amendment) Regulations 2014
- Commitment to NHS values and principles and the aims of NHS Foundation Trusts.
- Understanding and accepting the legal duties, liabilities and responsibilities of NHS Non-Executive Directors
- Good interpersonal skills. Able to work as part of a team to meet common goals, and a willingness to utilise skills and experience for the good of the organisation
- Well-developed communication skills
- An ability to assess strategies and plans of action to achieve objectives
- Astuteness and an ability to grasp relevant issues and understand the relationships between interested parties
- An ability to think creatively.
- A commitment to good corporate governance.
- Non-Executive Directors must meet the independence criteria as set out in the NHS Foundation Trust Code of Governance.
- An understanding of healthcare issues and how large organisations operate.
- Understanding the challenges of procuring, planning and delivering major projects.
- oUp-to-date clinical knowledge or experience of delivering healthcare, including within a non-NHS sector.
- oExperience of working in a regulated environment.
- oExperience of leading or managing significant cultural change in the working environment.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust
For questions about the job, contact:
Deputy Head of Corporate Governance
Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)