York and Scarborough Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
The Sterile Services Department (York) provides a vital service decontaminating and reprocessing surgical instruments for use on the wards and departments within the Trust. You will be involved in the cleaning, inspecting, assembling, packing, sterilising and distributing surgical equipment to wards, departments and Theatres. The successful candidate will require attention to detail, and an eagerness and ability to learn.
We have a comprehensive in-house training package, which successful candidates will be expected to complete. The role is physically demanding; you will be required to lift and handle heavy instrument sets and endure long periods of standing. As a clinical support the department is operational 7 days a week, to meet the demands of the hospital.
The department is compliant to ISO 13485 Quality Management System. Previous experience working with a quality system or in the decontamination is desirable but not essential.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Main duties of the job
- To undertake decontamination science duties and assist in providing a specialised decontamination of medical devices service, contributing to the clinical care of the patient.
- To carry out the receipt, disassembly, cleaning, disinfection, reassembly, packing, sterilization or high level disinfection of reusable medical devices.
- Record all tasks in the Healthcare Science Information Systems (tracking and tracing) database.
- To deal with all levels of customer queries via telephone and personal contact, including clinicians, nurses and other practitioners.
- To provide supervision to Apprentice Decontamination Technicians and other junior staff within the team.
- Work in accordance with the Department's Standard Operating Procedures andQuality Management System ISO13485:2016.
The role involves exposure to infectious material and bodily fluids.
We offer a range of benefits to support our staff including:
- Access to the NHS Pension Scheme, providing generous benefits upon retirement, as well as a lump sum and pension for dependants
- 27 days holiday rising to 33 days (depending on NHS Trust service)
- A variety of different types of paid and unpaid leave covering emergency and planned leave
- Confidential advice and support on personal, work, family and relationship issues, 24/7, from our Employee Assistance Programme
- NHS Car Lease scheme and Cycle to Work scheme
- An extensive range of learning and development opportunities
- Discounts on restaurants, getaways, shopping, motoring, cinema and finance through a range of provider
For further information on the fantastic range of benefits we offer please visit the Trust's dedicated Staff Benefits pages.
A full description of the role is available in the attachment: job description.
Working for the Trust
Across our organisation, people are guided by values that were co-developed with staff: we are kind; we are open; and we pursue excellence.
Our values play into our ambition to develop a more diverse workforce, truly representative of our communities. We welcome applications from everyone, while working with our Staff Networks - including our Race Equality, LGBTQ+, Disability and Carers Networks - to increase the number of applications we receive from different backgrounds. If there is anything we can do to make our application process more accessible to you, please contact: email@example.com
As part of seeking to become more inclusive, we will consider requests for flexible working from the start of your employment. It may not be suitable for every role, but we will try and be supportive where we can. We would encourage you to speak to the recruiting manager named within this advert to discuss any requirements you may have.
Armed Forces Friendly Employer
We are holders of the Gold Award from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme, which is helping actively promote SaBRE - Supporting Britains Reservists and Employers. This means that we have made a statement of intent to support all Defence personnel, including with applications for employment.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
Our Trust continues to strongly encourage our staff to be vaccinated against COVID19, this remains our best defence to protect our patients, ourselves, and everyone else.