Apprentice Nursing Associate
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
We are looking for Apprentice Nursing Associate apprentices who are interested progressing into a career in Nursing. Successful applicants will be offered a full time salary and the opportunity to work within our acute healthcare setting, whilst combining training with academic learning to achieve a Foundation Degree Qualification and NMC registration as a Nursing Associate.
The apprenticeship programme is structured and it will give apprentices experience in a wide variety of placements across the breadth of health and social care and various organisations. The training is offered as an apprenticeship and we are looking to recruit from both our current employees and the wider community.
The academic aspect of the course will be provided by one of our HEI providers (UoB, UoS, OU). The university tuition costs for the programme are fully funded by Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Trainees will be employed on a 2 year fixed term contract to complete the apprenticeship programme. All trainees will be offered permanent employment on successful completion of the course.
We will be offering Health Care Assistant (Band 2) posts in the first instance to applicants who do not have care, acute, or hospital experience as this will provide the suitable applicant relevant experience prior to the apprenticeship start date. The Trust reserve the right to determine when successful applicants are ready to join the apprenticeship programme.
Main duties of the job
The training programme emphasises the role that apprentices can play in lifecourse (pre-conception to end of life). Some of the duties will include:
o Proving personal care for patientso Undertaking clinical tasks including venepuncture and ECGso supporting individuals and their families and carers when faced with unwelcome news and life-changing diagnoseso Performing and recording clinical observations such as blood pressure, temperature, respirations and pulseo Discussing and sharing information with registered nurses on a patients' condition, behaviour, activity and responses o Ensuring the privacy, dignity and safety of individuals is maintained at all timeso Recognising issues relating to safeguarding vulnerable children and adults
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A&E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarise yourself with all requirements of the job.
03 February 2023
£21,730 to £23,177 a year pa
Bedford & Luton
- Develop understanding of all elements of the nursing process and be able to assist the registered nurse in the on-going assessment, planning, management and evaluation of care
- Support individuals with all aspects of care including daily living, providing person-centred care and promoting health and independence through awareness raising and care navigation to other professionals as appropriate
- Perform and record clinical observations including blood pressure, temperature, respirations, pulse
- Undertake clinical tasks including cannulation, venepuncture, ECGs
- Accurately record nutritional and fluid intake
- Ensure the privacy, dignity and safety of individuals is maintained at all times
- Report back and share information with the registered nurses on the condition, behaviour, activity and responses of individuals
- Recognise issues relating to safeguarding vulnerable children and adults and report any problems or raise concerns to the appropriate registered care professionals
- Assist in the implementation of appropriate action to meet the specific physical, emotional and psychological, social, cultural and spiritual needs of individuals and carers
- Assist in the delivery of complex care as prescribed by the registered nurse
- Develop understanding of caring for individuals with particular conditions for example dementia, mental illness, learning disabilities
- Develop skills in relation to coaching/teaching individuals/carers/other staff
- Promote health and safety maintaining best practice in health, safety and security
- Plan and manage competing demands of job role, study and placement activities
- Level 2 Functional/Key Skills in English and Maths (not entry level 2) or GCSE English Language & Maths at Grade A-C /4-9 or equivalent. (Evidence of qualifications will be required)
- The ability to study at Diploma level and a commitment to complete a Foundation Degree Apprenticeship
- Relevant, recent experience working within healthcare is desirable but we will also consider candidates who have experience in customer facing roles
- We are happy to consider school leavers who can demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in healthcare, particularly those studying Health and Social Care or higher level science.
- The applicant will have a Care certificate or be expected to obtain one during the first three months of the TNA programme.
Under the supporting information section on the application form, please ensure that you provide a detailed summary on how you meet the above criteria. If you could also confirm whether your preference of base site would be Luton, Bedford, or whether you would be happy to work within either location.
Please note that applicants who are shortlisted for interview will be expected to attend interview on Saturday 18th March 2023 within our Bedford Hospital site.
- GCSEs Grade A-C/4-9 in Maths and English Language or Functional skills level 2 in Maths and English or equivalent
- Qualifications and Credit Framework Level 3 in Care or equivalent in terms of both academic attainment and previous care experience
- Understanding of evidence based practice
- Relevant, recent experience working within healthcare is desirable
- We are happy to consider school leavers who can demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in healthcare, particularly those studying Health and Social Care or higher-level science.
- Understanding of the scope of the role of the Nursing Associate in context of the team and the organisation, and how the role may contribute to service development
- Understanding of basic physiology, e.g. normal vital signs, fluid balance, nutritional requirements etc.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Bedford & Luton
https://www.bedfordshirehospitals.nhs.uk/working-here/ (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
Clinical Apprenticeship Recruitment Lead
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)