The Christie NHS FT
This job is now closed
Are you an experienced NHS operational manager looking for an exciting opportunity to progress your career in a cutting-edge, world leading specialist cancer centre? Then this job may be just what you are looking for.
Due to the restructure and creation of a new 'Living with Cancer' strategy; The Christie NHS Foundation Trust is looking to recruit an experienced operational manager to lead our Acute and Inpatient care Directorate.
The right person will have experience in or a demonstrable passion for delivery of acute medical or cancer services with a track record of performance, transformation and clinical pathway improvement delivery. Working alongside the Clinical Director and Senior Nursing leads they will provide compassionate and robust leadership with a problem solving approach to service improvement in a multidisciplinary environment
Main duties of the job
The Service Manager role is responsible and accountable for strategic, operational, performance and business management of the directorate. They will drive high standards and efficiency in a highly functioning, supported and developed team.
The right person will have a minimum of 4 years' experience working in an NHS setting, at least one of them at a middle management level (ideally 8a). They will need to be able to manage conflicting priorities, be adept at problem solving at an operational and strategic level, have a proven track record of service, change and people management and will demonstrate delivery against set objectives, targets, and continuous performance improvement. They will be degree educated, and ideally possess or be working towards MSc level education in a health management/leadership, have a high level of emotional intelligence, strong adaptable interpersonal skills and be emotionally resilient.
The Christie is one of Europe's leading cancer centres, treating over 60,000 patients a year. We are based in Manchester and serve a population of 3.2 million across Greater Manchester & Cheshire, but as a national specialist around 15% patients are referred to us from other parts of the country. We provide radiotherapy through one of the largest radiotherapy departments in the world; chemotherapy on site and through 14 other hospitals; highly specialist surgery for complex and rare cancer; and a wide range of support and diagnostic services. We are also an international leader in research, with world first breakthroughs for over 100 years. We run one of the largest early clinical trial units in Europe with over 300 trials every year. Cancer research in Manchester, most of which is undertaken on the Christie site, has been officially ranked the best in the UK.
- Develops and implements long term service strategy and policies for managed areas that fully reflect the direction and service needs of the Trust, in line with corporate strategies of stakeholders and linking directly to relevant legislation as well as national and local healthcare guidance and initiatives. Resolves conflict, where they arise, relating to service provision.
- Responsible for the interpretation and implementation of broad policies and NHS guidance, contributes to corporate policies and strategy and develops services locally in line with them.
- Leads and coordinates service objectives ensuring relevance to local and national priorities.
Plays a key role in service planning for departments, develops and takes responsibility for and manages service budgets.
- Leads on business planning for department, ensuring that there is an agreed performance management framework to effectively monitor the delivery of the annual business plan and that any conflict with respect to content and delivery is reconciled.
- Prepares robust business cases to enable services to remain financially stable and responsive to the demands placed upon them. Performs highly detailed and complex option appraisals in order to inform decision making process, to include redesign of services, capital projects.
- In liaison with Deputy Chief Operating Officer and divisional accountant contributes to budget setting for all services within area of responsibility
- Ensures organisational procedures are deployed across department for control of activities against budget.
- Ensures that services work to achieve organisational effectiveness and deliver services within available resources.
- Develops schemes and action plans to implement cash-releasing efficiency savings targets.
- Support trust wide implementation of cost improvement programs
- Uses and analyses financial information systems to ensure robust systems for financial monitoring, budgetary performance and appropriate allocation of funding for service.
- Using contractually agreed performance indicators monitors service provision of external service providers.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).