Medical Secretary/Personal Assistant
The Christie NHS FT
This job is now closed
We are looking for candidates who want to join the bank to support our medical Secretaries/PAs.
This role supports our medical professionals and patients with diary bookings, appointments and day to day admin duties.
You will be annotating patient notes, supporting the consultants in their appointment bookings. This role would be well suited for someone who is confident in computer systems and used to working with confidential information.
Main duties of the job
To provide full secretarial and PA support to consultants and their team, ensuring a satisfactory standard of secretarial duties are maintained and deadlines are met. To maintain a high standard of service to meet patient needs, keep accurate, up-to-date records and ensure the smooth running of clinics.
The Christie specialises in cancer treatment, research and education. It is the largest single site cancer centre in Europe.
Treating more than 44,000 patients a year from across the UK, we became the first UK centre to be officially accredited as a comprehensive cancer centre. We also have our own dedicated hospital charity to improve care for our patients and their families.
We were the first specialist trust to be rated as 'Outstanding' twice by the Care Quality Commission. The CQC said we were 'a leader in cancer care' and 'a pioneer in developing innovative solutions to cancer care'. They also praised the Trust's staff who 'go the extra mile to meet the needs of patients and their families' and who were 'exceptionally kind and caring'.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Liaise closely with all consultants within the area of responsibility to provide a full secretarial service, including typing, dealing with queries from patients, relatives and colleagues from within and outside the Trust, scanning and maintaining case notes.
- Diary management for the consultants
- Provide secretarial service to the junior doctors and medical staff within the team, as above
- Appropriately disseminate a variety of correspondence/documentation, some of which is highly confidential
- Organise and schedule consultant meetings and maintain an up-to-date diary for appointments, meetings and interviews
- Liaise with staff at all levels both internally and externally, answering written and verbal enquiries when necessary, taking action on all matters which can be dealt with without further reference
- Answer written and verbal enquiries from patients/relatives, referring enquiries to the consultant only when necessary
- Liaise with internal and external departments to arrange clinical investigations/procedures
- Ensure accurate input of patient details when entering data onto information databases and Patient Administration System
- Receive new patient referrals and ensure timely registration and booking of appointments liaise with the Tracking team to ensure accurate tracking of patients in regard to cancer and non-cancer targets
- Liaise with day unit staff to ensure treatment appointments are booked appropriately
- Manage outpatient clinic templates to ensure smooth running of clinics
- Book patient appointments
- Take minutes for Trust and departmental meetings as appropriate.
- Contribute to the training of new members of staff within a given area as required
- Ensure electronic case notes are kept up-to-date, all investigations and other material (outside results and films) are available for clinic appointments/admission
- Demonstrates the agreed set of values and accountable for own attitude and behaviour.
- Type annotations and letters into the patient administration system accurately and timely, keeping to internal turnaround targets to ensure a high standard of service to referring consultants and GPs
- Provide sickness and holiday cover for other members of the administration team, ensuring that turnaround times are maintained
- Assist clerical staff where necessary to ensure the timely scanning of correspondence into case notes
- Provide information required to support the investigation of litigation case
- Work with clinicians, managers and administrative staff to review working practices, identify new improved ways of working and find solutions to problems.