Consultant Medical Microbiologist
Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
A newly created Full-time or part-time post for one permanent Consultant Microbiologist plus. Applicants with dual accreditation in Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases are also welcome to apply, where there will be further opportunities to expand clinical services if required.
Applications are also welcome for a fully accredited Clinical Scientist. The post is full time with a 10 PA allocation and A rating (8%) for Out of Hours work but consideration would be given for either part time or job share.
Main duties of the job
- To liaise with clinicians, hospital staff, medical microbiologists, general practitioners and consultants in Communicable Disease, concerning the diagnosis and management of patients, control and prevention of infections, including the provision of telephone advice.
- Participate in daily ward round for ICU, Emergency Assessment Units, Acute Medical Units and other wards as needed. Twice weekly ward rounds to Haematology/Oncology, Trauma & Orthopaedics, Surgical Hot week rounds and once weekly diabetic foot rounds.
- Twice weekly Virtual ward rounds for the OPHAT Service with the Medical Admission Avoidance Team.
- Participating in an ongoing medical audit programme within the department and participating in multidisciplinary clinical audit.
- Preparing, implementing and reviewing guidelines and Apps for the management of infection, with particular emphasis on those relating to antimicrobial prescribing when assuming lead role.
- Complying with agreed TSDFT management guidelines.
TSDFT is the first fully integrated care organisation in England; we are progressive in the way we deliver safe, high-quality health and social care. We have a positive and vibrant working atmosphere, with good transport links to all our sites. Our commitment to staff health and wellbeing looks at supporting our staff as 'whole' individuals, recognising their own unique set of strengths and skills.
Strong links exist with the Plymouth and Exeter Medical Schools and the South West Peninsula Postgraduate Deanery. Our catchment area covers 300 square miles and Torbay Acute Hospital as well as Totnes, Brixham, Newton Abbot & Dawlish Community hospitals serve a resident population of approaching 300,000 people, plus an additional 100,000 visitors at any one time during the summer holiday season. TSDFT has 396 inpatient beds and an additional 154 day-case beds and 42 children's beds. There are around 1,180 outpatient clinics and 60 community clinics held each week. The trust operates a high dependency and intensive care unit, runs 10 operating theatres, and has 34 medical and surgical inpatient wards.
Academic Facilities - there is a large well-equipped Post Graduate Centre with lecture theatre and seminar rooms plus a library on site. TSDFT is committed to continuing professional development (CPD). Funds are allocated to each consultant on an annual basis.
Why work with us - Torbay Hospital provides acute care for the local community and has several community hospitals, and is a hot-spot for those who are considering living by the sea or within half an hour of Dartmoor National Park and an hour to Exmoor National Park. Meanwhile, Plymouth and Exeter are also both within a short drive to enjoy the culture, maritime history and shopping experiences.
Please see our attached job description and person specification form for full details.#CareToJoinUsTSD
Legal, Qualification & Training
Clinical Experience & Training
Management and administration
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).