Locum Consultant in Anaesthesia
Yeovil District Hospital
This job is now closed
Yeovil Hospital are looking for a Locum Consultant Anaesthetist to join our dynamic team on a fixed term basis, this role could be offered for a minimum of 6 months and up to 12 months fixed term to cover sickness and vacancies within the current staffing establishment.
The contract will be for 11 PAs per week and the job plan includes a minimum of 1.5 SPA activity per week for this fixed term contract.
We are looking for candidates to start asap and no later than 3 months from date of interview and conditional offer being been made.
The workload, by the nature of the hospital, is varied and any applicant would need to be comfortable anaesthetising for children, major colo-rectal, major orthopaedic, and obstetrics amongst others. We cover all of the main surgical specialities except for vascular, neuro, spinal surgery cardio-thoracic, and specialist paediatrics.
Many special interests can be accommodated but of particular interest are those of peri-operative medicine, regional anaesthesia, human-factors/simulation and day surgery.
As a relatively small Trust it is easy to develop new services and new practices based on your ideas. There are opportunities to develop non-clinical interests especially in Education, Mentorship, Leadership and Management.
Around 18,000 operations are performed each year, with over 750 Critical Care admissions.
Main duties of the job
Provide high quality anaesthetic care for both elective and emergency surgical patients.
Develop clinical leadership, quality improvement and educational roles at an early stage.
Work within the clinical governance framework.
Maintain professional competencies and development.
Provide dedicated non-residential on-call cover (with internal cover).
Out-of-hours non-residential on-call cover will include both emergency theatre and maternity theatre, and may include the need to anaesthetise young children. Currently, consultants also cover ITU while on-call and we are anticipating this will change in the future.
Agree to be available within 30 minutes for emergencies that necessitate consultant input.
Help to develop evidence based local treatment policies, to guide best clinical care.
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone's throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan - there is truly something for everyone!
We really value the impact that you as a locum Consultant will have on our patients and services; we therefore offer an enhanced benefits package (subject to criteria) which includes:
- Welcome to Yeovil Hospital payment
- A generous relocation package
- 6 hours of paid time for professional development every week (SPA)
- £700 personal budget for training and development every year
Agency CV's will not be accepted for this role.
Please note we are not approved to support the GMC sponsorship route.
23 May 2023
Hospital medical and dental staff
£88,364 to £119,133 a year per annum (salary figure based on 10 PA's per week)
Full-time, Part-time, Compressed hours
Yeovil District Hospital
Fulfil any associated duties set out in of the Terms and Conditions.
Except in emergencies, or where otherwise agreed with your manager, fulfil the duties, responsibilities and programmed activities set out in your Job Plan, as reviewed from time to time.
Engage with appraisal and make all reasonable efforts to achieve agreed personal objectives.
Co-operate with colleagues to maintain the service with regards to annual leave and absences. Locums are not normally employed to cover the absence of Consultants who are away on leave
Notify your manager of any external duties you wish to undertake, in advance. Scheduling of such duties will be by agreement between you and your clinical manager
Where emergency work takes place at regular and predictable times it is scheduled as part of the Programmed Activities in your Job Plan. An allowance is also given for unpredictable out-of-hours activities.
The Trust will provide secretarial support and an adequately equipped office, including IT facilities including an excellent seminar room for training and webinars.
Please refer to the attached job description with full persons specification for full details of this role.
- Supporting Statement that reflects clinical skills and JD requirements
Qualifications and Attainments
- Medical Degree and Royal College Membership or Equiv
- Full GMC Registration with a license to practice at time of applying
- Appropriate higher degree or qualification (MD, PhD or equiv)
- Entry on the GMC Specialist Register in Anaesthesia via CCT or within 6 months of obtaining CCT, CESR or European Community Rights
- Evidence of teaching Medial Students and Junior Doctors in MDT setting
- Demonstrates depth and breadth of clinical experience in Anaesthetics.
- Experience in a special interest that will complement those existing in the department.
- Experience at Consultant / Locum Consultant level
Organisation and Planning
- Demonstrates knowledge of the NHS plan and the implications to the service
- Understanding of clinical governance and the individual responsibilities it implies.
- Evidence of general management training and self development in areas such as leadership, planning, change management, appraisal, recruitment
- Evidence of ability to contribute to the strategic direction of the Trust
- Provide high quality anaesthetic care for both elective and emergency surgical patients.
- Provide dedicated non-residential on-call cover (with internal cover).
- Competent to work without direct supervision where appropriate.
- Clear, logical thinking showing an analytical/scientific approach.
- Ability to lead and develop the service
- Knowledge of multidisciplinary clinical audit principles and evidence of direct involvement in 2 specific audits in the last 18 months.
- Knowledge of principles of research
- Evidence of involvement in a research project in the last 2 years.
- Able to establish good working relationships with other members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Flexible and adaptable to competing demands.
- Commitment to modern practices
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Commitment to a career in hospital medicine.
- Able to organise own learning
- Progression of career consistent with personal circumstances.
- Driving license or ability to travel between sites
- Willingness and ability to fulfil the key elements of the job description.
- Ability to cope with the demands of a DGH based Consultant.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships on an individual, multiprofessional and team basis with all levels.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Yeovil District Hospital
Yeovil District Hospital
For questions about the job, contact:
Clinical Lead for Anaesthetics
Dr Bozena Lassota-Korba
Yeovil District Hospital's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)