Head of Finance
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Please note that this role is advertised on behalf of Atlas BFW Management Ltd (Atlas), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and as such, successful applicant(s) will be on Atlas Terms and Conditions. For further information about Atlas, please visit: www.bfwml.co.uk
The Head of Finance will support the Director of Finance & Strategy in the successful delivery of the Trust's strategic, financial & business objectives, through the effective management, development and operation of robust internal controls, efficient financial processes, and sound financial policies and procedures. They will be responsible for the management of the procurement function and will provide advice and guidance to the team and be involved in large complex contract negotiations. Furthermore, they will take a lead role in the development of and evaluation of other commercial opportunities for the company.
Main duties of the job
The Head of Finance will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team and expected to demonstrate the ability to develop effective, productive working relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders that will ensure the delivery of the Company's strategic objectives.
They will deputise for the Director of Finance & Strategy, including attendance at Board Meetings, across their portfolio excluding those activities managed by the Head of Business Management. This includes but is not limited to financial management, financial services, business development, business information, procurement, internal and external Audit.
The Head of Finance will develop strong internal & external working relationships with Atlas colleagues, financial consultants, auditors and via external Service Level Agreements/ contracts.
Experts in healthcare facilities and property management, we deliver fully-managed healthcare facilities services and property management solutions to clients throughout Blackpool, Fylde, Wyre and North Lancashire.Our teams ensure our clients properties and amenities provide the best environment for their customers, patients, staff and visitors.As a wholly owned subsidiary of Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, we support the Trusts frontline clinical services and assist with the delivery of patient care, through our service provision.Our profits are used to help grow our business, whilst providing additional employment, training and development opportunities for local people.
Visit:bfwml.co.ukfor further information
The role requires a high level of personal responsibility and autonomy to act within the delegated areas of responsibility. The role requires a high level of inter-personal, communication, influencing and negotiation skills to ensure delivery of objectives:
- Have solid and demonstrable financial management experience at a senior level.
- Possess strong relationship building and communication skills.
- Able to work autonomously.
- Have excellent analytical skills and the ability to review, analyse & interpret complex data.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage own workload and meet deadlines.
- Ensure adequate governance procedures are in place including Standing Financial Instructions, Scheme of Delegation and appropriate financial policies and procedures. Ensure a sound system of internal control is in operation which fully meets the Company and audit requirements. Liaise with the auditors, both internal and external and the appropriate staff from across Atlas to undertake the actions required to address any ongoing financial governance issues, identified via the internal and or external audit. Regularly review Atlass financial systems and procedures, in order to identify and implementimprovements in agreement with the Director of Finance & Strategy. Ensure that appropriate and adequate records are maintained for audit purposes. Manage and maintain the efficiency, effectiveness and integrity of Atlass financial systems and procedures to ensure that the information produced is accurate and up to date. Maintain the finance department risk register and ensure that the Board Assurance Framework covers all appropriate financial issues and gaps in assurance.
- Actively participate in the development of appropriate financial, procurement and commercial objectives designed to provide operational plans to deliver Atlass strategic objectives. Develop and maintain the financial strategy framework, protocols and processes. Support the Director of Finance & Strategy in the development and maintenance of the Financial Plan, undertaking financial analysis and calculating budgets as directed. To support the compilation of the Trusts annual financial plan to meet the requirements of the board and its shareholder along with in year reporting. Provide support to the Director of Finance & Strategy and Board Members with planning and preparation for business growth including the production of business cases. Promote understanding of financial and commercial requirements of the company across all budget areas. Prepare cost estimates in an appropriate form and in a timely manner for use by managers and other budget holders, which will inform decisions about the use of resources, including staffing levels. Agree annual budgets with the Heads of Service including detailed costing and analysis work to support capital and revenue developments and the delivery of efficiency/ Cost Improvement Plans (CIPs). Produce financial year-end projections based on accounting practice and knowledge, liaising with appropriate staff to ensure the robustness of the information provided.
- Plan, lead and coordinate the production & filing of the Annual Report, Financial and tax return, to agreed deadlines and advise on the interpretation and impact of the appropriate accounting standards, policies and procedures. Provide accurate financial information and detailed analysis, to the required timetables, as and when required, including regular financial reports to the Trust Board and budget holders as appropriate. Liaise with both internal departments and external agencies to obtain relevant information in atimely manner and produce both statutory and contractual monitoring returns to external bodies, as appropriate ensuring that the Company meets all reporting deadlines. To manage any service level agreements/contracts for corporate services. Lead on the delivery of the treasury management policy and ensure that the Company maintains a sufficient level of liquidity.
Education / Qualifications
Knowledge & Experience: General
Knowledge & Experience: Specialist
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).