Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Please note that this role is advertised on behalf of Atlas BFW Management Ltd (Atlas), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and as such, successful applicant(s) will be on Atlas Terms and Conditions. For further information about Atlas, please visit: www.bfwml.co.uk
As a senior manager within Atlas, the post holder will have knowledge and experience of a multi-disciplined complex building and engineering services, covering both acute and community locations and will therefore be a highly skilled professional with significant management experience in the leadership of varying levels of projects that are to be delivered.
Main duties of the job
The Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring the management and execution of delegated schemes within the Capital Programme, Estates Category B Programme, New Works Programme and other schemes as appropriate.
Together with overall managerial responsibility, the post holder is expected to provide a customer focused, cost effective and efficient building and engineering design and installation service using a combination of in-house staff and a range of independent contractors and professionals, including appointed architects, quantity surveyors, mechanical and electrical consultants, principal contractors, sub-contractors, and specialist contractors.
The frequently fast changing, dynamic acute working environment, requires the post holder to demonstrate the ability to respond and adapt flexibly to the needs of the service. Therefore, they must have a high level, practical and theoretical knowledge of Acute Hospitals services, the associated compliance legislation and be comfortable dealing with a wide range of stakeholders.
Contribute to business cases as required including feasibility work, surveying and sketch proposals. Advise Project Teams on likely budget costs for alternative options.
Support and contribute to the Atlas Project Management policies/procedures/plans.
As experts in healthcare facilities and property management, we deliver fully-managed healthcare facilities services and property management solutions to clients throughout Blackpool, Fylde, Wyre and North Lancashire.Our teams ensure our clients properties and amenities provide the best environment for their customers, patients, staff and visitors.As a wholly owned subsidiary of Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, we support the Trusts frontline clinical services and assist with the delivery of patient care, through our service provision.Our profits are used to help grow our business, whilst providing additional employment, training and development opportunities for local people.Visit: bfwml.co.uk for further information
The post holder will:
- Provide expert and specialist advice on areas within your management control and respond to national and local directives as appropriate.
- Interpret and understand statutes and legislation and apply standards and controls to Trust capital & estates projects to ensure compliance where relevant.
- Work with Trust colleagues, clinical and non-clinical to ensure projects deliver effective outcomes that contribute to improving the patient experience.
- Manage the Trusts capital rolling programme, Estates Category B programme, New Works Programme and provide cost information as required. This includes the simultaneous management of a number of individual scheme budgets.
- To act as the Project Manager for a range of developments as identified by Head of Capital Developments and the Senior Projects Manager.
- Advise on the need to appoint independent consultants and subsequently brief, liaise and control the appointment of consultants as required including monitoring and reporting on their performance.
- Manage the process of producing a design brief for submission to independent consultants for individual capital schemes based on NHS guidance and good practice.
- As Project Manager and with the support of the Head of Capital, Senior Projects Manager and Head of Property Management provide a full design service for projects as directed and ensure the correct preparation of the tender documents for issue and adjudicate the review and reporting of received tenders.
- Ensure statutory and mandatory requirements are met for any development scheme, for example, planning and building regulations approvals, Fire Service consultation, water and electrical safety compliance and adherence to Trust and NHS policies, standards and specifications (Health Building Notes and Health Technical Memoranda etc.).
- Undertake budgetary and oversee detailed cost estimation for schemes using agreed schedules. Ensure fair budgetary and detailed quotations are received from consultants or contractors.
- Arrange for the implementation, design and execution of delegated schemes undertaken by the Trust and ensure that projects are contained within agreed cost limits and achieve the Trusts expectations with regard to time and quality.
- Participate/ support Project Teams for scheme briefing, planning, design, specification, delivery and commissioning.
- Undertake the management and evaluation of risk and health and safety issues associated with all delegated projects and advise the Management team accordingly.
- Undertake site supervision of designated schemes and ensure standards in construction and finish are achieved to a satisfactory standard.
- Modifying and approving technical drawings, project managing the installation and undertaking/ witnessing and verifying final commissioning to ensure compliance with specification.
- Manage user engagement and sign-up to the programme for all associated works and moves.
- Implement agreed communication processes for informing and interfacing with operational managers (e.g., regular communication through meetings) and with staff through regular items in newsletters and staff meetings.
- Chair/attend meetings with the users to establish the development of a comprehensive commissioning/decommissioning plan for all associated moves.
- Assist in the compilation, development and maintenance of estate records in accordance with the requirements of the Trust and national guidance.
- Ensure that all projects are compliant with the Trusts standing financial instructions and other relevant financial controls. Develop clear financial spend profiles for all delegated projects.
- Advise on the development and maintenance of the Divisions policy in relation to the form of contract used for the procurement of capital schemes.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of construction / and architectural innovation and developments in relation to best practice, material technology and methods.
- Undertake any other appropriate duties as required by the Head of Capital Developments
- To act in accordance with BFW Management Ltd Constitution and other Code of Conduct
- To participate in staff development, appraisal and training as appropriate, including continuous professional development
- To comply with BFW Management Ltd agreed policies and procedures including but not limited to Health and Safety, and Equal Opportunities Policies, the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act, Financial Management Regulations and other relevant NHS and Government Regulations, Directives and area wide priorities.
- Use technical and professional building and engineering expertise advice, as necessary, to support the reconfiguration and integration of various services associated with the overall Atlas Estates Strategy.
- Support the companys annual business planning process, including the production of appropriate estate plans, which should be flexible where possible, to allow for any potential adjustments, that may be required, to meet the changing needs of the service.
- Ensure full liaison is undertaken with colleagues from the Clinical and Non-Clinical leads and the Estates and Facilities teams to effectively manage the interface between capital, property, operational, building and engineering matters and all developments regarding capital investment projects.
- Any new build or new works will require the appropriate approvals prior to commencement and the post holder must liaise and agree any proposed works with the respective leads which is to include include Infection Prevention, Health and Safety, Fire Safety Advisor, Local Planning Authorities and Building Control, etc.
- All design and planning processes of any new/ minor works must be managed by the postholder.
- Ensure, that all minor building and engineering projects are procured, designed, and managed to comply with all Atlas Standing Orders, relevant health and Safety Guidelines, other statutes, acts, Institute guidelines, industry legislation and any related NHS guidance information.
- Take responsibility to ensure that pre and post tender documentation is evaluated using analytical specialist knowledge and criteria to interpret project submission in accordance with Atlas procedures. Maintain an historic information data base to evaluate and maintain an appropriate approved list of specialist and non - specialist contractors.
- Plan and deliver, through the senior Estates management teams in both the acute and community services, the active management of all aspects of project works, making optimal use of the resources available.
- Ensure that sustainable development is properly considered in all project related decisions and liaise with the Atlas Energy Officer as appropriate.
- Liaise with property services colleagues, service Leads and other key stakeholders for the purposes of sharing information regarding the optimum use of and any potential rationalisation of the estate.
- Support in the development and presentation of business cases where appropriate and ensure that such schemes and projects are adequately funded and resourced.
- The post holder may be required to work at locations across the service, to travel outside of the region on business and work outside of normal office hours in line with the needs of the job.
Education / Qualifications
Knowledge & Experience: General
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
For help with your application, contact:
04 October 2021
Agenda for change
£41,632 to £50,885 a year Salary negotiable dependant on experience