DeanCross is looking to recruit a highly specialist clinical/ counselling psychologist or qualified psychotherapist (UKCP/BACP/HCPC). A key component of this role is to lead a minimum of two MBT group programmes, facilitating weekly groups and regularly reviewing patient's progress. In addition, the role requires the clinician to hold a caseload for individual MBT. There is also the opportunity to offerassessment. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in facilitating group psychotherapy using MBT.
DeanCross is a small, experienced team, therefore being able to work alongside other professionals is an essential asset. You would be supported to progress within MBT training and receive training in TFP. The role would include supervision of qualified and trainee clinicians. The post is likely to suit someone who enjoys challenges and working in a team, is flexible, and has an ongoing commitment to working with Personality Disorder within group settings.
DeanCross aims to develop and deliver our services through co-production with people with lived experience. The department has an excellent relationship with the Local Recovery College and People Participation. DeanCross is also part of a wider psychology and psychological therapy provision in Tower Hamlets, and you would be joining a wide ranging community of psychologists and psychotherapists
Main duties of the job
To be the lead clinician for at least two group MBT Programmes within DeanCross (facilitate weekly groups, monitoring flow within the groups, regularly reviewingService User progress within treatment).
To hold a caseload of Service Users for individual MBT
To provide ongoing risk assessment and management
Acting as a senior clinician within the DeanCross team providing supervision toindividual clinicians (including trainee psychotherapist, psychological staff)
To provide specialist assessment for readiness for a psychological therapy
When required to liaison and provide consultation to other services within the trust
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.
15 June 2022
Agenda for change
£54,223 to £60,316 a year
pro rota incl HCA
TH AMH Personality Disorder
275 Bancroft Road
Kindly refer to the job description and person specification that is attached to the vacancy profile.
Education/ Qualification/ Training
- oRecognised specialist formal training in Group Analysis or Group Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (UKCP Registration).
- oAttendance at Anna Freud MBT Basic Training
- oMBT practitioner Status
- oRecognised qualification or training in psychotherapy supervision
- oAt least two years experience of work in the NHS.
- oExtensive experience of providing group psychotherapy with service users who present with complex needs, including those with a diagnosis of personality disorder and those that present with risk behaviours including self-harm.
- oExperience of managing and carrying a clinical caseload (psychotherapy groups and individual treatment cases) and working as an autonomous and independent practitioner.
- oExperience of planning and exercising clinical responsibility for service users' psychological care and treatment within the context of a multidisciplinary care plan.
- oExperience of clinically supervising staff conducting groups at all levels of training and experience (eg. honorary, junior doctors, SpRs in psychiatry, IGA trainees - including treatment groups and staff supports).
- oExperience of working in a multidisciplinary mental health setting.
- oWork in a multi-cultural setting, including working with interpreters.
- oExperience of working within an MBT service
- oExperience of consultation within primary, acute and secondary mental health services
- oExperience of teaching, training and supervision.
Knowledge and Skills
- oComprehensive knowledge of a group-analytic theory, including psychoanalytic theory and techniques, that gives a clear and coherent understanding of a theory of human behaviour, development and psychopathology associated with Personality Disorder.
- oHighly developed skills in the effective communication of highly technical and/or clinically sensitive information to a wide variety of recipients in a range of settings within and outside the NHS, including the ability to produce comprehensive and coherent letters, reports and associated documentation.
- oSkills in the assessment of risk for a wide range of patients with mental health problems and specifically for patients with personality disorder diagnosis.
- oCapacity to work calmly and thoughtfully when addressing traumatic psychological issues, and to be able to tolerate emotions evoked by such workoCapacity to work calmly and thoughtfully when addressing traumatic psychological issues, and to be able to tolerate emotions evoked by such work
- oWorking knowledge of the practices and approaches of other key disciplines, professions and agencies involved in the care and management network, including medical, employment, social, educational and criminal justice systems.
- oKnowledge of legislation in relation mental health.
- oAbility to provide a culturally-competent and non-stigmatising service including an awareness of the potential impact of discrimination and disadvantage on mental health.
- oAbility to co-ordinate the recording and reporting of clinical information as required.
- oSkills in providing consultation to other professional and non-professional groups
- oKnowledge of related disorders such as Eating Disorders, Substance Abuse
- oAbility to identify and employ, as appropriate, clinical governance mechanisms for the support and maintenance of clinical practice in the face of regular exposure to highly emotive material and challenging behaviours.
- oCompetence in advanced IT packages including keyboard skills. Including the ability to develop and use complex multi-media materials for presentations in public, professional and academic settings.
- oAbility to contain and work with organisational stress and able to contain the stress of others.
- oAbility to remain in constrained positions for substantial proportion of working time.
- oAbility to concentrate intensively for substantial periods of time during service user contact, teaching/supervision sessions, team meetings, preparing written work etc.
- oAbility to produce high quality professional results to specified deadlines and other time constraints.
- oAbility to manage effectively frequent exposure to highly distressing/emotional circumstances.
- oAbility to manage effectively verbal aggression and abuse from service users, carers etc, and the risk of physical aggression.
- oAbility to work creatively, co-operatively, reliably and consistently as an independent practitioner, as a mentor and supervisor, and in multi-disciplinary and team settings.
- oDemonstrably respectful approach to service users, carers, colleagues, other professionals and professional contacts. Willingness to negotiate and ability to handle confrontation effectively and professionally.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see
NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).