Financial Management Accountant
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
This job is now closed
The overarching aim of the role is to provide proactive support in all aspects of financial management and provide assistance in driving forward business and research development opportunities.
Main duties of the job
To assist in the provision of a comprehensive Financial Management Service to the Research and Innovation team.
To provide costings for research grant applications and to ensure that costs incurred through R&I are fully recovered and revenues allocated in line with the research strategy and associated policy.
To assist with effective costing/pricing for recharge of services (both internally and to the commercial sector) using the Clinical Research Network (CRN) costing template and Non-Commercial Financial Model.
To play a key role in enabling the Trust to successfully apply for Research and Innovation (R&I) grants and successfully compete for clinical trials.
Our new strategy, developed with the support and feedback of colleagues, patients, and partners, is our compass for the next seven years (2023-2030).
We have four primary goals:
- high-quality care for all,
- being a great place to work,
- partnerships for impact, and
- research and education excellence
And we will embed health equality in all we do - taking active steps to reduce the avoidable differences in healthcare that some people face, working in partnership with communities.
Our strategy is underpinned by new values and we will work to ensure they are an everyday reality for all:
- we are compassionate,
- we are proud,
- we are inclusive, and
- we are one team
This is an exciting moment as we look to the future with clarity on what we already do well and where we need to focus our energies to make an even bigger difference for the people we serve.
- Identify, monitor and investigate variances from approved income and expenditure budgets using the general ledger system, making required budget or expenditure adjustments where necessary.
- Assist in the completion of month-end and year-end processes to ensure that financial management information is complete, accurate and timely. This includes the process to allocate and monitor income and expenditure from external sources, including CLRN, Research Capability Funding (RCF), National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and Commercial sources.
- Assist in the completion of monthly financial reports, making required expenditure and budget adjustments. Provide Senior Financial Management Accountant R&I with information in appropriate format on current financial position and significant movements.
- To analyse, investigate and resolve financial problems relating to the costing of research. These frequently involve large volumes of data that may be conflicting. Responsible for checking of payroll amendments, with particular emphasis on the attachment to the correct post, accuracy of financial code and identifying of appropriate establishment review forms.
- To develop and maintain in-depth specialist knowledge of the Trusts R&I accounting processes and procedures and the system relating to budgetary control and business planning. Assist in identification of a PBR tariff to aid charging of research activity.
- Assist with responses to directorates for ad-hoc queries including costing of development proposals.
- Carry out month-end and year-end budget reconciliations in line with audit requirements.
- Request invoices to be raised and ensure all income is recovered and recorded in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responsible for the checking of invoices in respect of R&I, ensuring accuracy of recharge before coding. Raise queries with budget holders where necessary and accrue as appropriate.
- Responsible for liaison with departments within finance and procurement services ensuring expenditure and income are accurately coded. Complete the relevant paperwork in line with audit requirements.
- Assist in the analysis and provision of information to support both R&I service teams and financial management.
- Undertake detailed costing analysis as and when required in order to support the work of the Senior Financial Management Accountant R&I.
- Responsible for the calculation of amounts due for Commercial and Non-Commercial Activity, and be the point of contact for any queries arising from the invoices.
- Assist in the costing and monitoring of R&I commercial and non-commercial income agreements.
- Assist with the provision of training to finance and other directorate staff in respect of the key result areas above.
- To maintain confidentiality at all times relating to the patients, staff and the Trust.
- To actively participate in the Staff Appraisal process.
Training & Qualifications
Communication and relationship skills
Analytical and Judgement skills
Planning and organisation skills
Other requirements specific to the role
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).