Senior Assistant Psychologist
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
The closing date is 08 June 2023
This is an exciting opportunity to join a new Mental Health team launching a New Primary Care Mental Health Service, operating from Brighton Magistrates Court, Edward Street, Brighton Probation Service, Grande Parade, alongside other local NHS and probation premises.
The focus of this new service will be the provision of Primary Care Mental Health Treatment Requirements (MHTRs) for eligible people sentenced at Brighton Magistrates court.
As a senior assistant psychologist for this team, you will be skilled at working alongside multidisciplinary and multiagency colleagues and willing to support with clinical governance duties and psychological assessment and treatment provision, offering outstanding brief psychological interventions for this high need and often marginalised group.
Despite high numbers of individuals with mental health issues appearing in court, the use of community sentence treatment requirements (CSTR's) as an alternative to short custodial sentences or to address underlying mental health challenges contributing to offending behaviour, remains low. Experience of working with criminal justice agencies (e.g. police, probation, Prisons) would be an advantage, but is not essential.
Main duties of the job
Primary Care Practitioners are involved in each stage of the MHTR pathway.
These stages are;
Initial identification-of potentially suitable individuals
Eligibility checking and Screening-against an agreed criteria
Practitioner Assessment-A semi structured psychological assessment.
Consent - Ensuring the Individual understands the purpose of MHTR's and consents to the process
Clinical Lead Approval-Clinical discussion if recommendation for MHTR is appropriate
Sentencing-Proposed intervention shared with Probation in order that the Court team can present a Pre Sentence Report proposal to the court
Post sentencing planning meetings-within 14 days of sentencing with Individual, PCP and Probation Practitioner who will oversee the order
Intervention and joint case management- Interventions delivered by PCP clinically supervised by Clinical Lead. Complex cases will be allocated to Band 7 PCP's or in some cases the Clinical Lead.
Intervention Completion-Complete final assessment to establish clinical outcomes of interventions.
At Sussex Partnership we are committed to providing opportunities forflexible working. If you would like to work differently or different hours to as advertised, please get in touch to discuss this in more detail.
If you haven't thought about living in Sussexbefore then you should consider the following:
- Journey from the coast to the countryside in minutes
- Enjoy a lifestyle where there are renowned cycle routes and picturesque walks, including the famous South Downs Way in the South Downs National Park!
- Embrace taking time to discover all the miles of scenic coastline, including Hastings, Bexhill on Sea and Eastbourne
- Easy access to airports - Gatwick and Heathrow are both within 90 minutes of the county, providing links to Europe and beyond
- Brighton and Hove or London are within easy reach via local and national bus routes and national mainline stations
25 May 2023
Agenda for change
£28,407 to £34,581 a year per annum
Brighton Magistrates Court
Operating from Brighton Magistrates Court on Edward Street, Brighton Probation Service on Grande Parade, and other local NHS and probation premises.
Working pattern- 37.5 hours, Mon-Fri, 9-5 (or flexible working pattern if that suits both the applicant and needs of the service users / service and courts provision)
Essential Qualifications- Honours degree at 2:1 or above in Psychology, or equivalent. Eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartership with the BPS
Scope of the role:
- To undertake projects relating to service development and evaluation.
- To set up databases, spreadsheets and using advanced IT skills in evaluation audit and research.
- To support assessment and treatment interventions undertaken by the service.
- To undertake direct and indirect clinical work that is managed and goals agreed and reviewed through regular supervision by a qualified applied HCPC registered Practitioner Psychologist.
- To plan, organise and co-teach psycho-educational courses and groups with appropriately qualified professional staff.
- To liaise with a range of services (including health, social care and voluntary agencies) relevant to the working area.
Please see Job Description for full description
If you would like to discuss this exciting opportunity further we would be happy to talk to you. Please contact the Service Manager for this new service, Richard Roberts on 07825831040 or email: Richard.email@example.com or Dr. Michael Lawson, Consultant Clinical Psychologist Mob: 07471217851 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Honours degree at 2:1 or above in Psychology, or equivalent. Eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartership with the BPS
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience of working with people with complex needs
- Experience of working with people with disabilities, in a health or Mental Health setting and or work with people with complex needs
- Relevant clinical and research skills
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Basic knowledge of databases, research skills and methodology
- Experience of group work and individual therapeutic contact
- Ability to apply existing psychological knowledge to a health context
- An understanding of psychology applied to health care
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Brighton Magistrates Court
https://www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)