Consultant Lead Psychiatrist - East Sussex (responsibility payment)
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
The closing date is 19 June 2023
The Trust seeks to appoint a motivated Consultant Lead Psychiatrist to take responsibility for the overall professional governance of Psychiatry within the East Sussex Care Delivery Service (CDS). This role will be pivotal in leading on the Psychiatry strategy and service planning, ensuring:
- quality of care
- performance management
- effective use of resources in the CDS.
This role will be a full time Consultant level post with the post holder working 4 PAs as Professional Lead and up to 6 PAs in a clinical Consultant Psychiatrist role (external applicants must agree the clinical post prior to interview based on one of the current vacancies within the CDS). The role attracts a responsibility payment of £5000 in accordance with current Trust guidelines.
The clinical element of the role will be as a Consultant Psychiatrist in a clinical service within the CDS. This can be flexible depending on the qualifications, experience and personal preference of the successful candidate. Please note some of our clinical roles attract a £25,000 recruitment and retention payment. Please see adverts for full details.
To find out more about what we offer please take a look at our careers portal:https://careers.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/
Main duties of the job
As the Lead Psychiatrist, you will play a key role in ensuring there is participation from the Psychiatry/medical workforce in all main areas of service development of the CDS, as well as the suitable delegation of medical responsibilities to colleagues. Some of the roles will have remits across the localities (i.e. work streams of service development, audits, research and teaching and training) and will link with the other medical Clinical Leads within East Sussex CDS, professional leads across Sussex and other key members of the CDS leadership team.
Together with the CDS leadership team and Chief Medical Officer, the Lead Psychiatrist will support and agree the respective responsibility for ensuring that all non-training grade medical staff in the CDS receive appropriate clinical supervision. This will include contributing to annual team and individual job planning of consultants; as well as their professional appraisals; ensuring sufficient psychiatric cover and good medical practice across the service.
Further remits include optimising the use of Psychiatry resources and leading on processes of changes to medical staffing in the locality including locums.
At Sussex Partnership we are committed to providing opportunities forflexible working. If you would like to work differently or different hours to as advertised, please get in touch to discuss this in more detail.
If you have neither lived or worked in Sussex before then please consider the following:
- Journey from the coast to the countryside in minutes
- A lifestyle including renowned cycle routes and picturesque walks, including the famous South Downs Way in the South Downs National Park
- Discovering the 140+ miles of scenic and historic Sussex coastline
- Easy access to airports - Gatwick and Heathrow are both close to the county, providing worldwide transport lin
The Trust has a thriving research network and has been rated 'outstanding' in caring by the CQC and 'good' in all other domains. The Trust has strong links with Brighton and Sussex Medical School and regularly hosts students of various disciplines.
25 May 2023
Hospital medical and dental staff
£88,364 to £119,133 a year £5000 extra responsibility payment per annum
Please see the Job Description and Person Specification for the full duties and responsibilities of the role. Some of the key deliverables are as follows:
- You will be a key member of the CDS Leadership team providing professional leadership to ensure the provision of excellent and cost-effective services.
- You will lead on care group specific work streams and aspects of health and social care governance
We would love to hear from you. If you want to find out more about this exciting opportunity, please see our contact details below.
- MRCPsych or equivalent professional qualification
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, or management
- Additional clinical qualifications
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
Academic Skills & Lifelong Learning
- Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation
- Ability to work in a participatory way so that shared decision making and conversations around formulation/diagnosis and ongoing care are a collaborative endeavour with the people who access our service
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement
- Has led clinical audits leading to service change or improved outcomes to patients
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
https://www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
Clinical Director East Sussex
Dr Laura Brummer
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)