Clinical Director - KSS - Adult Secure Provider Collaborative
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
The closing date is 15 June 2023
The Adult Secure Provider Collaborative - Kent Surrey Sussex is a partnership of providers of adult secure care and community forensic clinical services operating within the geographical footprint of the three counties to improve care for people referred to and admitted to secure hospitals, receiving care and treatment in secure hospitals and aftercare from community forensic clinical services. The Provider Collaborative holds specialised commissioning, contracting and quality assurance responsibilities for secure inpatient units in this footprint, delegated from NHS England. The Lead Provider for the Adult Secure Provider Collaborative is Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
We are seeking to recruit a highly skilled Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist to lead on the clinical priorities of the Provider Collaborative. This is a crucial role and the successful candidate will join the Provider Collaborative's Senior Management Team to provide forensic psychiatric oversight and expertise.
NB although the post is technically based at Trust HQ in Swandean, Worthing, there is an option for the successful candidate to be based at an alternative NHS Trust location across the footprint of Kent, Surrey, Sussex,
Main duties of the job
The post holder will: serve as a clinical advisor to forensic and secure partner services that offer community and inpatient psychiatric care; help to develop step-down and discharge pathways; assess people admitted to hospital whose complexity results in delayed progress; provide clinical accountability for decision-making on admissions; chair the CAP and provide clinical leadership and support for admission decision-making.
Experience of leading change across complex health and care landscapes is essential. If you have an eye for detail are motivated by developing robust adult secure clinical governance systems that make a positive difference to individuals using secure inpatient care then we are keen to hear from you.
This role requires dynamic, engaging and inclusive clinical leadership to oversee the delivery of high quality care; ensuring compassion and a positive patient experience are at the heart of the delivery system. The successful candidate will join a busy senior leadership team. The post holder will have a passion for improving the experiences of and outcomes for people using secure inpatient care
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust is the lead provider for the Kent Surrey Sussex Provider Collaborative for Adult Secure Care and as is focused on reducing reliance on inpatient care by developing high quality services that support individuals in the community, helping to reduce length of stay and prevent readmission.
The successful candidate will be employed by Sussex Partnership NHS FT, but will be accountable to the distinct commissioning and contracting arm of the Trust that oversees the Provider Collaboratives. The successful candidate will work directly with partner organisations within the Provider Collaboratives, as well as current Provider Collaborative staff. The post holder will work with a number of consultants across the counties in various Trusts and independent sector provider hospitals. The role has diverse operational and clinical components.
25 May 2023
Hospital medical and dental staff
£88,364 to £119,133 a year pro rata
SPFT Trust HQ,
The successful candidate should have significant experience of leading relevant clinical transformation programmes and working with a wide range of partner organisations.
Details of the main responsibilities are included in the job description
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- Full registration with General Medical Council
- Fellowship/Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent and/or on the Specialist Register for Forensic Psychiatry with the General Medical Council or other professional regulatory body
- Approved Clinician (AC) and Section 12 (Mental Health Act) status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment, with knowledge and experience of Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment.
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR able to achieve within six months of appointment.
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
ACADEMIC SKILLS & LIFELONG LEARNING
- Broad experience of UK clinical practice
- Excellent knowledge in the specialty of forensic psychiatry
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Leadership and people skills
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement.
- Has actively participated in clinical audit and quality improvement programmes
- Awareness of historical and current NHS structures and policies, especially regarding forensic and secure clinical services
- Significant experience in a senior medical manager position
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
- Clinical and operational familiarity with Kent, Surrey and Sussex mental health service provision
- Understanding of value of lived experience and experts by experience in service development
- Knowledge of local system challenges
- A proven track record of successful strategic and financial management
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
SPFT Trust HQ,
https://www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)