Locum Consultant Psychiatrist - Hospital Liaison
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
This job is now closed
Are you passionate about delivering sustainable, high quality mental health services?
Do you want to work in a friendly, committed and established service where your knowledge, experience and skills will be valued?
We are seeking a Locum Consultant Psychiatrist to join the North Somerset Hospital Liaison Service to cover a 9 month maternity leave starting in May 2023.
The Hospital Liaison Service is based at Weston General Hospital, North Somerset. This is a small District General Hospital with approximately 220 beds and an Emergency Department open from 8am to 10pm. The hospital is part of the University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust.
The role of the psychiatrist is for diagnostic and treatment advice as well as supporting the wider team in complex and high risk case management. The consultant will have a key clinical leadership role, with service improvement and development, alongside the team manager. In addition there is a significant teaching and training aspect to this role, for general hospital staff.
North Somerset Mental Health has a forward thinking and inclusive medical community dedicated to making changes for the better. We are committed to your development and helping you to achieve your career aspirations. You will be encouraged and supported to be involved in service leadership and management.
Main duties of the job
The main duties of the job include;
- Assessment and management of in-patients with complex health care needs including co-morbid physical and psychiatric illness within Weston General Hospital, Weston-super-Mare.
- Responsible Clinician (RC) status for inpatients within Weston General Hospital, Weston-super-Mare. and subject to the Mental Health Act 1983 (updated 2007)
- Rapid assessment when required for patients presenting at ED
- Diagnostic and medication advice to clinicians at Weston general hospital
- The post holder will assist the Dementia Lead role within Weston General Hospital.
- Provide specialist psychiatric advice within the general hospital setting.
- Senior medical input into the multidisciplinary Mental Health Liaison Team
- Senior interface with AWP community mental health services to ensure optimum psychiatric liaison services at this interface.
- Direct responsibility for working with a small number of complex cases: approximately 10 -12 assessments or reviews per week.
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Research and Audit
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).