North Bristol NHS Trust
This job is now closed
The microbiology research team at North Bristol NHS Trust are looking to recruit enthusiastic and motivated full time Research Technicians to work within the antibiotic research laboratory conducting contract-based research for the GNA NOW project.
The ideal candidates will be reliable, honest, organised, flexible with working hours, have the ability to get to work when participating on the out of hours rota and keen to learn and be able to follow instructions and procedures.
They must be able to work effectively as part of a small team, as well as being able to work independently. Excellent communication skills and data entry skills are required and the candidate must have good manual dexterity.
The post holder(s) will need to have met the requirements as listed in the person specification.
North Bristol NHS Trust recognises the need to invest in our research staff and is dedicated to their training and development.
Main duties of the job
We are looking for enthusiastic and reliable Research Technicians to join an existing, highly experienced, multi-disciplinary team.
The successful applicants will be based in the pKpD Laboratory at Southmead Hospital in Bristol, which is recognised as a centre of excellence for both R&D and specialist service provision in the area of antimicrobial research.
The post-holders will work primarily on running assays for the GNA NOW project under the supervision of the lead research scientist.
The successful applicants are likely to have a science background and preferably experience of working in a laboratory.
- Daily regular movement between geographically separate sections of the laboratory required, transporting equipment, consumables and samples
- Manual handling including lifting heavy objects and waste bags on a regular (daily) basis
- Daily requirement to wear personal protective equipment e.g. gloves, goggles, etc. as supplied.
- Daily exposure to pathogenic bacteria
- Occasional exposure to hazardous chemicals and UV light, blood and other body fluids/tissues including potential Regular use of equipment that can expose the worker to very low temperatures -80C freezers
- Daily requirement to concentrate for long periods at technically demanding procedure.
- Frequent extended periods of VDU usage required for data analysis and input
- Performance of repetitive tasks required
- The post-holder will be required to work alone and /or out of hours on a regular basis
To work as part of team, supporting senior scientists participating in the provision of high quality pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic (pK/pD) analytical services, as provided through the pK/pD laboratory for the GNA NOW project
To participate in the day-to-day performance of antimicrobial research including routine and specialist microbiology susceptibility tests MIC studies, TKCs and synergy studies including the operation and maintenance of in vitro pK/pD models after training.
The specific duties carried out will depend on the allocated area of work. The post holder will be required to work alone and to participate in regular out of hours working
Knowledge skills and Abilities
Personal Qualities/Special Cirumstances
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).