Consultant Clinical Genetics
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
This job is now closed
We are inviting applications for two Consultant Clinical Geneticist posts to meet the increasing demands for Clinical Genetics services.We welcome national and international applications and individuals with subspecialty areas of interest to complement existing clinics and services. We are also keen for applicants to have an academic and educational interest or an interest in additional roles eg, Digital/IT or Clinical Governance lead.
North West Thames Regional Genetics Service (NWTRGS) is located at Northwick Park & St Mark's Hospital, hosted by the London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust. The Service is commissioned to provide specialised Clinical Genetics services to a socioeconomically and ethnically diverse population of over 4 million people in north-west metropolitan London, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Middlesex. In addition to general genetics clinics, we offer specialized clinics and a number of multidisciplinary clinics. We have recently set up a clinic dedicated to patients with SATB2-related disorders. We have close collaborations with Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. NWTRGS also hosts a highly specialised quaternary clinical service for patients with rare types of Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes (EDS) in the south of England.
The successful applicants should possess entry onto the GMS Specialist Register or be within 6 months of CCT at the time of the interview, if currently within a training programme in the UK.
JD subject to RCP approval
Main duties of the job
- Provide a comprehensive clinical service for the evaluation, diagnosis and management of individuals and their families referred to the NWTRGS service; to be accountable for their patients' care on their journey through the Service. Clinical activity may involve exposure to all aspects of Clinical Genetics.Some travel to deliver peripheral clinics will be required.
- Arrange appropriate investigations and manage the outcome of these in a timely manner. Also, to arrange referral for prenatal and pre-implantation genetic diagnosis where indicated.
- Participate in the consultant on-call rota (pro rata) - triage referrals and manage rejections appropriately; urgent referrals.
- Supervise Specialty Registrars and other junior medical staff and Genetic Counsellors; co-counselling.
- Liaise with Clinical Scientist colleagues
- Provide advice for colleagues in other specialties regarding the indications for, and interpretation of genetic and genomic tests.
- Support service development, be active in maintaining patient safety through participation in audit
- Provide teaching, participate in departmental CPD activities and clinical research collaborations and publish any research activity
- Undertake annual appraisal and revalidation
- Provide cross-cover for colleagues
- To develop the post and take on additional roles and responsibilities in line with gaps in the service and direction of the service in the future
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWH) cares for the people of Brent, Ealing, Harrow and beyond.
Our team of more than 8,200 clinical and support staff serve a diverse population of almost one million people.
We run major acute services at:
- Northwick Park Hospital: home to one of the busiest emergency departments (A&E) in the country. The hospital provides a full range of services including the country's top-rated hyper-acute stroke unit and one of only three hyper-acute rehabilitation units in the UK
- St Mark's Hospital: an internationally renowned specialist centre for bowel disease
- Ealing Hospital: a busy district general hospital providing a range of clinical services, as well as 24/7 emergency department and urgent care centre, and specialist care at Meadow House Hospice
- Central Middlesex Hospital: our planned care site, hosting a range of surgical and outpatient services and collocated with an urgent care centre.
We are a university teaching NHS trust, in recognition of the important role we play in training clinicians of the future and bringing the benefits of research to the public.
Please see attached Job Description for further details regarding the post.
For further details / informal visits contact:Dr Neeti Ghali - email@example.com
Management and Audit
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).