General Adult Consultant Psychiatrist Inpatient Service Hazel Ward
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Consultant Psychiatrist, (10 PAs) + on call supplement
We are looking for a new Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry to join our team on Hazel Ward, providing high quality care to adult male patients with acute and chronic psychiatric conditions, ensuring that assessments for intervention are provided in a sensitive, accessible and culturally appropriate way. The post is based at the Campbell Centre on the Milton Keynes University Hospital campus and there is office space and administration support provided.
This is an exciting time to be joining Milton Keynes Mental Health as we are rapidly growing and developing our teaching programmes. After very positive feedback from our August 2022 cohort of FY, GP and Core Trainees, the Deanery has increased our uptake with two more space for 2023. From March this year, we will also be welcoming our first cohort of 3rd year Medical Students, led by our newly appointed Director of Undergraduate Education and Clinical Fellow.
This post attracts a generous annual leave entitlement, study leave, the NHS pension scheme and other financial benefits, such as Relocation package for up to 8K and a range of lifestyle benefits, such as staff discounts, discount on the purchase and the lease of new cars
Main duties of the job
- Management of patients on the ward; undertaking ward rounds and reviews/tribunals and work related to the Mental Health Act
- Management of complex cases
- Clinical leadership of the team
- Provide a role in assessment of referrals/admissions
- Care planning and treatment formulation
- Provide guidance on evidence-based treatment and effectiveness
- Liaise and collaborate with other services/agencies
- Implement the Mental Health Act
- Multi-disciplinary, multi-agency and partnership working
In Milton Keynes, CNWL are responsible for the provision of mental health services for children and young people, adults and older adults. We jointly run the learning disability services with the local authority.
Milton Keynes Specialist Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) covers the whole area of Milton Keynes with all referrals received into the single point of access in the service. This is believed to be the best way to give greatest flexibility in case management and provision of service to children, young people and their families and carers. The service caters for all mental health presentations as well as children with learning disabilities who have mental health needs. There are a number of treatment pathways within the team for intervention and the service is currently adopting the I-Thrive model.
- Manage, appraise and provide professional/clinical supervision to junior medical staff as agreed between Consultant colleagues and the Clinical Director and in accordance with the Trusts personnel policies and procedures
- Ensure junior medical staff working with the post holder operate within the parameters of the New Deal and are Working Time Directive compliant.
- Undertake the administrative duties associated with the care of patients.
- Participate in service and business planning activity for the service and, as appropriate, for the whole mental health service
- Participate in annual appraisal for Consultants
- Attend and participate in the academic programme of the Trust, including lectures and seminars as part of the internal CPD programme
- Maintain professional registration with the General Medical Council, Mental Health Act Section 12(2) approval, and abiding by professional codes of conduct
- Participate in annual job plan review with the Clinical and Service Directors and in consultation with relevant managers ensuring the post develops in line with service configuration
- Work with local managers and professional colleagues to ensure the efficient running of services, and sharing with Consultant colleagues in the medical contribution to management
CLINICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
ACADEMIC SKILLS & LIFELONG LEARNING
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).