Oxford University NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
To carry out the receipt, disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, packing and sterilization of reusable medical devices.
To undertake medical device decontamination duties (under supervision) and assist Supervisors in providing a specialised medical devices decontamination service contributing to the clinical care of the patient.
Work in accordance with the Department's Standard Operating Procedures and Quality Management Systems at all times and throughout all production areas, ensuring safe systems are followed for patient safety.
Main duties of the job
- Accurately exchange information with colleagues and customers to enable: prioritisation of work and prevention/resolution of problems.
- Deal courteously and professionally with colleagues to foster good team working relationships.
- Provide routine data as required by departmental supervisors.
- Understand a range of work procedures which require on job training.
- Maintain and update knowledge of instruments across all specialities.
- Understand and maintain knowledge of decontamination procedures including safe operation of automated machinery.
- Maintain educational standards by attending departmental lectures and hospital courses regularly to meet the requirements of Health & safety.
- Organising own day to day work tasks or activities ensuring recommended best practice is adhered to at all times.
Trust Values are Learning, Respect, Delivery, Compassion and improvement Our core values are excellence,compassion,respect,delivery,learningandimprovement.
Collaboration and partnership are also central to our approach in delivering our fundamental activities of patient care teaching and research.
These values determine the Oxford University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust's vision to be:
"At the heart of a sustainable and outstanding, innovative, academic health science system, working in partnership and through networks locally, nationally and internationally to deliver and develop excellence and value in patient care, teaching and research within a culture of compassion and integrity.
This vision is underpinned by the Trust's founding partnership with the University of Oxford." We will do this by:
- taking pride in the quality of care we provide;
- putting patients at the heart of what we do and recognising different needs;
- encouraging a spirit of support, respect and teamwork;
- ensuring that we act with integrity;
- going the extra mile and following through on our commitments;
- establishing systems and processes that are sustainable.
- Making judgements involving straightforward job related facts or situations. Identifying routine problems which may prevent adherence to decontamination/quality standards.
- Specific hand/eye co-ordination required to gain the speed and accuracy in checking, packing and assembling surgical equipment to the required quality standards.
- Achieving the department production targets carried out within recommended best practice and mandatory standards.
- Provide basic clinical technical services following strict decontamination guidelines for cleaning, sterilisation and packing of surgical equipment.
- Follow departmental documented policies and procedures at all times.
- Daily maintenance of theatre instruments, dismantling and re-assembling of surgical instruments and checking optics following the relevant work instructions and comprehensive instrument checklists, identifying any missing components which are reported accordingly.
- Maintain stock within all production areas, re-order as required and control stock rotation.
- Demonstrate work activities to untrained staff when qualified.
- Responsible for data entry onto computer, to maintain records of instrumentation within the department (tracking and tracing).
- Complete own time sheets and other work records as required.
- Undertakes surveys and audits (i.e. cleanliness and work required) where necessary within own work and written guidelines.
- Test decontamination equipment according to relevant HTMs on a daily bases.
- Work within well established procedures following guidelines for good practice with supervision available for reference.
- There is a requirement to stand while carrying out duties in all production areas; with a frequent requirement to exert moderate physical effort whilst unloading and loading trolleys into the washer disinfectors and sterilisers.
- Concentration is required at specific times during the decontamination process to produce correctly laid-up and packaged surgical instruments.
- Frequent exposure to body fluids and care is required when dealing with contaminated sets due to the presence of sharp instruments when working in the decontamination wash area.
- The duties and responsibilities of the post will be undertaken in accordance with the policies, procedures and practice of Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust and which the Trust may amend from time to time.
- The duties outlined above are not intended as a restrictive list, and may be extended or altered to include other tasks that are commensurate with the grade.