Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist
University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Based at the Royal Derby Hospital, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology provides a full range of services within this field to the residents of South Derbyshire and East Staffordshire as well as neighbouring communities. We are currently recruiting an additionalConsultant Gynaecological Oncologist to join our team.
Derby Gynaecological Cancer Centre (DGCC) is a medium sized cancer centre serving the population of South Derbyshire and East Staffordshire. Both the Derby and Burton Sites have a combined MDT with diagnostic pathways present on both sites but with Cancer level surgery performed at Derby Gynaecological Cancer Centre based at Royal Derby Hospital.
Both hospitals run busy diagnostic pathways with hysteroscopy, colposcopy, imaging services integrated at both sites. Whilst some diagnostic and early endometrial cancer surgery is performed at the QHB site the majority of surgery is performed at RDH. RDH has access to a large ITU and Step-down facilities, Support of colorectal, urological, vascular, upper GI on site. Close links are in place with thoracic and Hepato-biliary input where needed. DGCC has access to 10 theatre lists a week.
Main duties of the job
- Maintenance of the highest clinical standards in the management of gynaecology / oncology patients.
- To share with colleagues responsibility for the day to day management of the gynaecology / oncology service.
- Teaching and training of trainee medical staff, medical students and nurses.
- Active participation in both departmental and Trust matters concerning clinical governance, audit and research
- Responsibility for ensuring active participation in continuing medical education (CME), the appraisal process and revalidation.
In addition to any specialist interests all consultants will be involved in providing a general clinical service to the Trust.
"As a trusted organisation at the heart of our communities, we recognise the important role we can play in supporting the public, patients, our own people and local partners in achieving the best of health for the local population and the communities in which they live by providing Exceptional Care Together
Our fundamental Values of Compassion, Openness and Excellence underpin how we intend to work as a Trust and the associated behaviours are becoming embedded in all aspects of how we work.
In return we will offer:
- Development opportunities, including both professional and leadership development
- On-going support through every step of the way from recruitment to when you join our team and beyond.
- A variety of other staff benefits including employee assistance programme, discounted gym membership, onsite fitness classes, car scheme
Key Facts about our Trust:
- Our hospitals see more than 4,000 outpatients daily
- We see more Trauma & Orthopaedic outpatients than any other Trust - over 3,300 per week
- An average 860 patients are seen in A&E every day - 6th largest in the country
- Our hospitals admit more than 220 emergency patients daily.
- We carry out more planned surgical operations than any other Trust in England with almost 50,000 operations taking place in our 52 operating theatres
- We are one of only 5 Trusts nationally with more than 50 operating theatres
- We carry out more than 300 elective procedures each working day"
Provision with consultant colleagues of a service to Staffordshire, Derbyshire & surrounding areas with responsibility for diagnosis & treatment of patients at the hospitals & clinics at which you have duties, this may include clinics in community facilities.
Responsible for the continuing care & treatment of patients in your charge & personal performance of clinical duties as agreed in your job plan, allowing for all proper delegation to & training of your staff.
Provision of an out-of-hours service with consultant colleagues including on-call rota commitments.
Active participation in undergraduate & post graduate education, including training sessions for Foundation Years, Specialty Registrars and medical students.
Provision of cover for your consultant colleagues during reasonable periods of leave including care of patients & supervision of doctors in training.
Responsible for the professional supervision, training & management of junior medical staff, carrying out teaching, examination & accreditation duties as required & contributing to postgraduate & CPD activity locally & nationally as appropriate.
Participate in clinical audit under local arrangements.
Commitment to entering patients into MRC trials where appropriate (if the appointee has an interest in research this would be supported by the Trust & the Division).
Commitment to taking part in annual appraisal process which will be undertaken by the Assistant Clinical Director for Gynaecology.
Responsible for compliance with personal continuing professional development requirements with the support of the Trust. It is mandatory for all Consultants to keep up to date with evidence based practice.
Responsible for maintaining awareness of & acting in accordance with professional guidelines such as Duties of a Doctor, Good Medical Practice, & the GMC Performance Procedures .
Exceptional requirements to undertake additional duties for limited periods within geographical area specified above or undertake duties at other hospitals in the event of a major disaster or incident.
Teaching & Management Experience
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).