Apprentice Medical Laboratory Assistant - Histology
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Apprentice Medical Laboratory Assistant
37.5 hours per week to work flexibly between Monday to Friday
GHNHSFT Apprenticeship Terms & Conditions, Fixed term contract 15 months
£5.18 ph, £10,132 pa
Pathology / Cheltenham General
Responsible and accountable to:
Histology Lab Manager
This Medical Laboratory Assistant apprenticeship at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is an exciting opportunity to learn new skills and become part of Pathology Services.
The apprentice will be based at Cheltenham General Hospital, and complete an Advanced (Level 3)Laboratory TechnicianApprenticeship whilst gaining valuable experience working in a busy healthcare laboratory.
The apprenticeship is suitable for an applicant over 18 years (age restricted due to the working environment) who has an interest in science and is looking for an opportunity to & would enjoy the challenge of working in a Pathology Department.
Main duties of the job
The Apprentice Medical Laboratory Assistant will be working alongside and supporting other MLA staff and the scientific staff on the different sections. Duties will include preparing reagents and chemicals, discarding laboratory waste, preparing tissue samples for diagnosis and use of the laboratory computer system
Throughout the apprenticeship journey you will:
- be supported in the workplace by a mentor
- have off-the-job training to develop your learning.
- be in regular contact with the Training Provider and the Apprenticeships and Careers Team.
- have access to a virtual learning platform
- attend workshops / webinar where you will have the opportunity to discuss and share
You will be required to uphold confidentiality at all times, be expected to be professional, treat everyone with kindness and respect, and have the confidence to communicate with members of the public and staff at all levels.
The working week is Monday to Friday, 08:00 16:30.
The histology department is based on the Cheltenham General Hospital site with a hot lab for frozen sections on the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital site.
It provides a fully comprehensive diagnostic service, handling around 40,000 requests per annum, sent from a variety of locations within the region; including hospital theatres, clinics, GP surgeries and private hospitals. The vast majority of these are sent as routine histopathology specimens, for which no prior arrangements need be made.
- Receive specimens into department and input data into the laboratory computer system
- Prepare specimens for cut-up
- Assist at specimen cut-up
- Routine slide preparation
- Specimen, slide and block storage and retrieval
- Specimen disposal
- Basic maintenance of equipment
- Maintain appropriate levels of consumables, including preparation of solutions
- Work within established standard operating procedures
- Follow the regulations and codes of practice governing aspects of Health and Safety relevant to the laboratory
- Undertake appropriate training, and participate in updates
- Be aware of Trust Policies and Procedures and abide by them at all times
- Participate in formal individual performance reviews, in line with Trust policy
- Report any accidents/incidents immediately, in line with Trust Procedure
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).