Trust Doctor Autoimmune Connective Tissue Diseases (Vasculitis) ST5+
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
DIRECTORATE OF MUSCULOSKELETAL SERVICES - RHEUMATOLOGY
TRUST DOCTOR POST CCT/SENIOR ST5+ IN AUTOIMMUNE CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISEASES & VASCULITIS
We are delighted to be able to offer an opportunity for a highly motivated, ambitious individual to join our well integrated Rheumatology Autoimmune Connective Tissue Disease and Vasculitis team.
This full-time post is available for 12 months from 1st September 2023 until 31st August 2024. We also welcome applicants wishing to work part time or job share.
This unique post enables the post holder to gain broad experience in the management of patients with Autoimmune Connective Tissue Diseases and the Vasculitis. Each attachment will be for 12 months, normally rotating in September. Applications/expressions of interest are welcomed from suitably qualified candidates, who are already working in Rheumatology at Registrar level and have a special interest in the Autoimmune Connective Tissue Diseases and Vasculitis. The post holder will be expected to take a full role in all aspects of the work of the Rheumatology Autoimmune Connective Tissue Disease and Vasculitis service at the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Please read attached Job Description and Person Specification.
Main duties of the job
The main aims of this job are as follows:
- To support the eight Rheumatology Consultants and two Connective Tissue Disease (CTD) Clinical Nurse Specialists who look after our large cohorts of Autoimmune CTD and Vasculitis patients.
- To help supervise the Rheumatology Trainees who are looking after the CTD and Vasculitis patients on the dedicated Rheumatology Day Case Unit and Ward
This unique post enables the post holder to gain broad experience/ consolidate their experience in the management of patients with Autoimmune Connective Tissue Diseases and the Vasculitis. The applicant should have a special interest in the Autoimmune Connective Tissue diseases and Vasculitis. On completion of the job, the post holder should feel equipped and competent to manage these patients at consultant level.
For an informal discussion and further information regarding the opportunity and Directorate, please contact: Dr Bridget Griffiths, Consultant Rheumatologist on 0191 213 7967 or via email at email@example.com.
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion. Rated 'Outstanding' by theCQC for the second consecutive time in 2019, we have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.
05 January 2023
Hospital medical and dental staff
Doctor - other
£33,790 to £53,132 a year per annum
Rheumatology Specialty - FH
Newcastle upon Tyne
The post holder will be expected to take a full role in all aspects of the work of the Rheumatology Autoimmune Connective Tissue Disease and Vasculitis Service at the Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Conduct 3 clinics per week seeing predominantly follow up and new Connective Tissue Disease and Vasculitis patients, including general CTD/Vasculitis Clinics but also attending the suspected Sjogrens Clinic, Fast-track GCA clinic (as well as the opportunity to attend the monthly combined Dermatology, ILD, PH and Pregnancy Specialist Clinics and the quarterly combined myositis clinic);
- Be involved in the day-to-day management of the Connective Tissue Disease and Vasculitis inpatients and day cases, particularly those receiving chemotherapy and biologics;
- Perform ward consults of potential and existing CTD and Vasculitis patients;
- Closely liaise with the Connective Tissue Disease/Vasculitis Clinical Nurse specialists especially regarding queries to the dedicated CTD and vasculitis advice line and the prescription of chemotherapy, and outpatient prescriptions e.g., for Sildenafil and Disease Modifying Therapies.
- Participate in the daytime (9am -5pm Monday to Friday) on call registrar departmental General Rheumatology rota.
- Attend the monthly regional specialised rheumatology CTD and vasculitis MDT meeting and weekly departmental CTD and vasculitis MDT meeting; and
- Attend the departmental weekly ward round, the monthly X ray meeting, the quarterly pathology meeting, the twice monthly ILD MDT meetings (held at the RVI), and the quarterly histopathology meeting.
Out of hours on-call duties:
- The successful applicant will participate in the rheumatology SpR/StR out of hours on call rota (EWTD compliant). This rota currently provides cover for rheumatology inpatients and emergency referrals from 5-7pm weekdays and 9am 1pm weekends, with a consultant-led ward round at weekends.
- The post holder will be expected to contribute to departmental administration including clinic administration, clinical governance, audit and quality improvement work.
- Clinical research is an important part of this post. We will encourage the applicant to be involved in the departments research activities and to develop their own research project during their tenure. He/she will benefit from working with the large patient cohorts with different CTDs (e.g., primary Sjogrens syndrome, SLE, Systemic Sclerosis) and the Vasculitis.
- The post holder will also be trained in Good Clinical Practice. They will participate in pharmaceutical company clinical trials and NIHR adopted national CTD and vasculitis-related research studies/registry studies.
- They will participate in CTD/Vasculitis departmental and national audits.
- There are generally three other specialist registrars/speciality registrars and three junior medical trainees (one F1, one IMT and one trust grade SHO) attached to the Rheumatology Department and the post holder will share responsibility for their training, supervision and assessment.
- He/she will also contribute to the teaching of undergraduate medical and health professional students in core and elective placements.
During this 12 month post, the post-CCT fellow/trainee will gain experience and competency in the diagnostic, investigation and management processes of patients with a broad spectrum of Complex Autoimmune Connective Tissue Diseases and Vasculitis, including SLE, Systemic Sclerosis, primary Sjogrens Syndrome, all types of vasculitis and inflammatory myositis. The post holder will learn research methodologies and be trained in Good Clinical Practice. The post holder will be expected to take an active part in the directorates weekly departmental meeting/CPD session. The post holder will attend the regional SpR/StR training sessions and monthly rheumatology regional meetings.
Education and Qualifications
- Primary Medical Qualification.
- Full GMC registration or eligibility to obtain this within 3 months (or within 6 months for non-EEA applicants).
- MRCP or equivalent
- Post graduate degree.
- Research Experience, GCP certificate
Clinical Skills and Knowledge
- Experience at SpR/StR level in the management of the autoimmune connective tissue diseases and the vasculitis
- Good history & examination skills.
- Able to formulate a working diagnosis.
- Able to order appropriate investigations.
- Image interpretation relevant to practice.
- Knows when to appropriately seek assistance from a senior colleague.
Maintaining Clinical Competence
- Written evidence of satisfactory training to date e.g. workplace assessments, MSF, ARCP.
- Experience of teaching undergraduate medical students & Foundation Doctors.
Clinical Governance, Audit and Research
- Experience of audit projects.
Communication, Relationships and Working with Colleagues
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively with patients and other people within a team.
- Ability to work as a team with professional colleagues in all disciplines.
- Alignment with the Trust's Core & Professional Behaviours.
- Flexible approach to service delivery and committed approach to development.
- A commitment to personal / unit CPD.
- Time management skills.
- Honesty, integrity, awareness of ethical dilemmas, respect for confidentiality.
- IT literate.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Rheumatology Specialty - FH
Newcastle upon Tyne
https://careers.nuth.nhs.uk/why-us (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)