Operational Service Manager
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
The Surgery and Specialist Services (SSS) Clinical Board at Newcastle Hospitals provides a range of local, regional and national specialist services to a diverse patient group, with approximately 1000 different patient contacts every day. This is achieved with a team of 1653 colleagues, a budget of £155m and a vast array of equipment and estate.
We operate across 141 theatre lists a week, and are responsible for the care of patients in 250 hospital beds across 10 different wards at the Freeman, and the RVI Hospitals. Ensuring this capacity is maximised, and utilised efficiently is vital in order for us to provide the best service we can for our patients - crucially by improving patient outcomes and experience, by reducing our waiting times for treatment.
- Interview Date Wednesday, 20th December 2023
- 37 Hours 30 Minutes/Week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
Main duties of the job
- Leading the deployment of the National Care Co-ordination digital solution (CCS) within T&O services, responsible for ensuring system pre-requisites and process redesign is undertaken in conjunction with Trust CCS Team.
- To map and understand the existing booking and scheduling function in T&O, to ensure that the implementation of CCS is optimised, and provides better outcomes, and better experience for administrative staff and clinicians involved in current processes.
- To use an improvement approach, involving these frontline experts in the design and development of the enhanced booking function.
- To scope out the T&O resource, to identify any gaps or risks to ensure the solution can be deployed to agreed timescales.
- To work with operational teams, and senior management to implement regular theatre scheduling meetings to align with 6-4-2 theatre model and respond to CCS alerts.
- Establish a communication plan within the board, to ensure that all key stakeholders e.g., waiting list team, clinicians, managers are fully briefed on and recognise the benefits of the system with clear roles and responsibilities outlined across operational and clinical delivery teams.
- To ensure all other critical systems (i.e. Medi-rota) are in place and aligned to support the role out of CCS.
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion.
We have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
Please see attached information on what Staff Benefits we have to offer at our Trust.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.
We are looking to appoint a talented, outcomes driven individual to support a transformation within the SSS Board in how we plan, schedule, and deliver our theatre activity. Initially working within Trauma and Orthopaedics (T&O) but with a view to wider roll out across the Board, the ideal candidate will have a strong operational background in delivering clinical services, but also be experienced in service development and improvement methodology. The successful individual will lead deployment of the National Care Co-ordination digital solution (CCS) within T&O in conjunction with Trust Improvement CCS Team, but embedded within the operational team to ensure frontline experts are involved every step of the way.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate to lead and deliver on a high profile challenging project, which will have a direct and tangible impact on how we recover our waiting list position post Covid, improving the quality and timeliness of care we provide for patients and families.
The appointed candidate will assist the Clinical Board operational management team by leading on the Theatre Scheduling Transformation work, initially within Trauma and Orthopaedic services, but as a blue print for wider roll out across the clinical board. The post holder will report into the General Manager for T&O, and Plastic Surgery.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate. The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Qualifications & Education
Knowledge & Experience
Skills & Abilities
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).