The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
The closing date is 04 June 2023
An opportunity has arisen to recruit a Band 7 Physician Associate (PA) to join the Cardiology and Respiratory teams at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust. This is a Preceptorship role and the successful candidate will have additional support and teaching as part of the preceptorship scheme. Applicants must have passed the Physician Associate National Examination and be accepted onto the Physician Associate Managed Voluntary Register. To qualify for the scheme, candidates should also be within 12 months of qualification in order to apply. (We would also welcome applications from PAs who are due to qualify in autumn 2023.)
We are looking for a friendly, dynamic and supportive individual to join our service and team in continuing to provide excellence in all we do. The successful candidate will be joining a dedicated and passionate team who are committed to providing our patients with an excellent standard of care. Candidates must possess strong clinical, communication and interpersonal skills alongside a desire to develop and grow the service.
Informal enquiries are welcomed and encouraged.
The working pattern will be Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm and predominately based at the Freeman Hospital site.
- Interview Date 15/06/2023
37 hours 30 minutes/week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
Main duties of the job
The PA will provide expert assistance to the multidisciplinary teams within the Trust to ensure the provision of a high-quality service to patients. The post holder will work under the direction of a designated supervising consultant and mentor, working collaboratively with other members of the clinical team within the Trusts policies and clinical guidelines. Peer support will also be provided by weekly teaching sessions facilitated by Health Education England and also by the growing number of Physician Associates employed within the trust during the dedicated monthly teaching sessions.
- To attend consultant/and or specialty registrar ward rounds & manage patients as determined by the supervising consultant
- To take a clear, concise history from patients. Complete necessary documentation
- To perform physical examinations & perform diagnostic/therapeutic procedures as necessary
- Instruct and counsel patients and their relatives
- Interpret and utilise data and clinical findings
- In emergency situations, administer life support to support life-saving procedures
- To consolidate specialist skills, knowledge and expertise in clinical practice and apply this in the supervision and training of others within the Trust
- To contribute to the development of efficient pathways of care in accordance with current best practice and national guidelines
- To work within the multi-disciplinary team
- To support and contribute to timely discharge planning including completing discharge summaries
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion.
Rated 'Outstanding' by theCQC for the second consecutive time in 2019, we have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.
26 May 2023
Agenda for change
£43,742 to £50,056 a year per annum
317 01 Freeman Hospital
- The post holder will be based at Freeman hospital and work within Cardiology Medicine/ respiratory medicine speciality. The PA will be under the supervision of the Medical Team and will be supported in developing those skills necessary to perform their role in providing high quality, patient centred service.
- The post holder will work within the policies and procedures, will build on their skills in clerking, assessing and examining patients gained through their physician associate training, present to more senior members of the team, initiate and interpret investigations, and recommend appropriate managements/treatments (as governed by national guidelines) . They will be expected to liaise with other professionals and specialities as required and complete necessary documentation relating to their patients. Will undertake home visits as and when required.
- It is expected that the Physician Associate will become involved in the activities of the Department, including coordinating patients on treatment pathways, reviewing inpatients and providing subsequent management of cases in conjunction with the Clinical team. Physician Associates may represent the department at local meetings as appropriate.
- Physicians Associates will be expected to contribute to educational activities and instruct and educate patients in preventative healthcare.
- Fully document all aspects of patient care and complete all required paperwork for legal and administrative purposes.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Skills & Experience
- High level of competence in clinical skills and practice obtained through practice
- Able to teach clinical professionals
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including highly competent oral and written English
- Able to apply research outcomes to clinical problems
- Able to take responsibility for the clinical care of patients under the supervision of Consultants
- Demonstrates clinical leadership
- High level of proficiency using range of IT packages including strong competence with MS Office Suite to produce documents, reports etc.
- Developing and maintaining key relationships with wide network of people to support the development and integration of the role of Physician Associate within the Trust , for example, educational supervisors, mentors, Royal Colleges etc
- Previous experience of working within a health care environment, ideally the NHS
- Recent proven experience and success as a Physician Associate (UK) or Physician Assistant (US
- Delivering teaching to clinical professionals
- Providing support and guidance to students or colleagues
- Experience in a medical education institution
- Experience in specialty related to the post.
- BSc/BA degree in relevant health related subject
- Post graduate diploma as a Physician Associate/Assistant (Master's Level equivalent).
- Valid certification of Physician Associate National Exam
- Membership of the Faculty of Physician Associates or equivalent for the USA
- Biomedical or Biological Science degree
- Good understanding of the competence and curriculum framework requirements for Physician Associates (UKIUBPAE)
- NHS performance management processes (quality assurance, clinical audit, compliance and governance)
- Understanding of information governance including data protection and maintaining confidentiality.
- Demonstrable understanding of statutory and mandatory training requirements within the NHS.
- Understanding of individual and organisational learning needs to ensure appropriate methods and processes are designed and delivered to ensure an effective learning experience.
- An active interest in current developments in medical education
- Knowledge and experience of the process and practice of teaching to the medical model
- Research experience
- Compliant with NHS mandatory training requirements
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
317 01 Freeman Hospital
https://careers.nuth.nhs.uk/why-us (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
Nicola Robinson Smith
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)