Specialist Craftsperson (Mechanical)
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust currently has a number of fantastic opportunities for aspiring, customer focused, mechanical maintenance professionals to be based at the Freeman Hospital. Working within a small multi-disciplinary team, the chosen applicant will help maintain the building services infrastructures at one of the Top 10 Hospital Trusts in the U.K.
On offer is:
- Clear career progression routes.
- Regular professional training with access to development training.
- A regular, consistent, working pattern.
- Interview date 07/06/2023
- 37 hours 30 minutes/week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
Main duties of the job
Candidates must have completed a recognised mechanical engineering apprenticeship, be self-motivated with a desire to develop new skills and flexible to meet the demands of a large acute hospital.
Specialist training and support will be provided where necessary with the the chosen candidates required to develop into a skilled maintenance technician who may be required to:
- Maintain, test and repair some/all of the numerous decontamination equipment on site,
- Verify and maintain prescribed high standards linked to operating theatre ventilation systems,
- Undertake mechanical maintenance tasks as part of a robust Legionella management programme
- Inspect, maintain and support the various piped medical gas systems on site
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion.
Rated 'Outstanding' by theCQC for the second consecutive time in 2019, we have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.
- To install, maintain, service and repair the full range of estates specialist equipment, plant and infrastructure.
- Provides technical advice to other estates maintenance staff and contractors to ensure compliance with safety standards and procedures.
- Act in the role of Competent Person/Responsible Person, as defined by Health Technical Memorandum, for at least two of the following areas:o Water Safetyo Lifting Equipmento Pressure Systemso Medical Gasses.o Specialist Ventilationo Decontamination.o Confined Spaces
- Undertakes condition surveys, evaluates inspection reports.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).