Project Manager (Operations and Maintenance)
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
The Estates Directorate is seeking to recruit a highly motivated Project Manager to lead on the planning, co-ordination, management and delivery of fire safety, backlog, major revenue and minor capital schemes across the Trust Estate. The ideal candidates will have substantial experience as a Project Manager with extensive knowledge of both passive and active fire safety systems. Knowledge and experience of various forms of construction contract (ie NEC3/4, JCT, MTC etc) is essential and candidates require the ability (practical and theoretical knowledge) to deliver within a fast paced and dynamic acute healthcare environment.
Educated to Degree level (Essential) with Chartered membership of a recognised professional body (Desirable), you will demonstrate a proven track record of scheme delivery within a complex organisation (Preferably Healthcare). The successful candidates will sit within the Estates Operations and Maintenance Team and will report into the Estates Manager Operations (Building).
Please refer to the job description and person specification for all essential and desirable criteria relevant to the role
Band 7 salary with 10% RRP payment.
- Interview date: 8th June 2023
37 hours 30 minutes/week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will act as Trust Estates project lead (Operations and Maintenance) for the planning and management of the Trust's Fire Safety, Backlog, Major Revenue and Minor capital schemes across two main acute sites. They will take the lead role in the planning, procurement and delivery of passive fire protection projects liaising with Trust Senior Management, Estates colleagues. Clinical teams and specialist suppliers/contractors. They will be responsible for the development of feasibility schemes and production of comprehensive business cases and will be expected to engage with external statutory bodies ensuring projects are designed and delivered in accordance with all legislative/statutory requirements.
They must have highly developed, specialist knowledge of passive fire protection systems and installations with significant project management experience demonstrating successful track record of delivering capital and major revenue schemes in a complex organisation/environment (preferably NHS). The post holder will be highly motivated, driven and show initiative, creativity and negotiation skills.
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of £1 billion.
Rated 'Outstanding' by theCQC for the second consecutive time in 2019, we have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groups.
09 May 2023
Agenda for change
£43,742 to £50,056 a year per annum
317 01 Freeman Hospital
- This senior post will be the lead role for the conception, planning and management of the Trust Fire Safety, Backlog, Major Revenue and Minor capital schemes across two sites giving professional specialist advice to other Senior Estates and staff members of the Trust.o The post holder will be required to:o Procure and manage passive fire protection projectso Commission and project manage a range of major capital, new works and backlog projectso Take the lead role in planning and design of schemes interfacing with Senior Managers of the Trusto Give specialist estates advice to the Trusto Responsible for the production of feasibility schemeso Design and Manage in-house design workso Work with others to ensure affordable programmes consistent with business priorities are deliveredo Manage a variety of Building/Engineering schemes which involve multi-disciplinary teams:
- External consultants
- Specialist services
- Direct Labour
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
- Advance level knowledge of design, building, planning & construction regulations in large acute hospitals
- A clear understanding of issues facing the NHS
- Health & Safety legislation
- High level of theoretical knowledge to manage wide range of estates issues & assets
- Knowledge & understanding of the complex integration of engineering & building services involved within planning, design & implementation of schemes
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering/ building services Knowledge & understanding of specialised practices, policies & procedures specific to Estates buildings & engineering installations
- Highly developed specialist knowledge of passive fire protection systems and installations
- IT skills on packages including Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Project 2003
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills at all levels
- Advanced knowledge, training & experience via formal & informal training courses
- Successful track record of capital & major revenue schemes at an operational level in a complex NHS environment
- Substantial experience in various forms of construction contract management and administration i.e. NEC3/4, JCT, MTC
- Evidence of on-going professional development
- Specialist courses
- Architectural/Engineering background
- Educated to Honours degree level in a building or engineering related subject or HNC with equivalent experience
- Chartered Membership of a building/engineering professional body
- Management qualification
- AutoCAD qualification
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
317 01 Freeman Hospital
https://careers.nuth.nhs.uk/why-us (Opens in a new tab)
For questions about the job, contact:
Head of Building
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)