Apprentice Personal Assistant (for Medical Director and Core Team)
University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Exciting Opportunity: Apprentice Personal Assistant
We are thrilled to present an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual with a proactive mindset and a strong desire to make meaningful contributions while assisting the Specialist Hospital Board Medical Director and their dedicated core team. This role represents a distinctive chance to become part of the UCLH team and acquire invaluable training and experience while pursuing a Level 3 Business Administrator apprenticeship.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent organisational and communication skills, demonstrate strong attention to detail, and thrive in a collaborative team environment. You may already be working within the NHS or another sector and are keen to pursue a career within the NHS.
This apprenticeship offers a unique opportunity to launch your career within the NHS, gaining invaluable experience in a dynamic healthcare environment. The post holder will need to thrive in a fast-paced environment and possess excellent communication skills while being familiar with the Microsoft Office suite. You will be able to remain calm when dealing with multiple tasks that need to be delivered within tight timeframes.
This post offers hybrid working, and the successful applicant will be expected to be in the office three days per week, with the remaining days of the week working from home. you will be expected to support meetings that commence before 9am.
Main duties of the job
As an Apprentice PA, you will play a pivotal role in supporting the Medical Director and their Core Team. The core team you will be supporting, includes the Director of Operations, head of Workforce, Head of Finance and Head of Nursing. Your responsibilities will encompass a wide range of tasks aimed at ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the Medical Director's office.
- Providing comprehensive confidential PA support to the Medical Director and core team, covering diary management, appointments, meetings, events, and dealing with queries and projects, and setting up and maintaining databases.
- Composing letters, which may often be of a confidential, sensitive, or contentious nature.
- To coordinate and act as secretary to meetings/committees preparing agendas, taking formal minutes, arranging venues, circulating documents. Meetings include: SHB meeting (monthly), Vacancy Control Panel and planning meetings (annual), plus other key strategic meetings for the Medical Director and Core Team as and when required.
- Handling incoming/outgoing mail and distributing all routine correspondence. The post holder is also responsible for flagging up any urgent post/emails and taking necessary action in the absence of the Medical Director and core team.
Managing diaries using electronic tools, ensuring they are free from clashes, planning regular meetings well in advance, making all necessary materials available in a timely manner to facilitate meetings
University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (UCLH) is one of the most complex NHS trusts in the UK, serving a large and diverse population. We provide academically led acute and specialist services, to people from the local area, from throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. Our vision is to deliver top-quality patient care, excellent education, and world-class research.
We provide first-class acute and specialist services across eight sites:
- University College Hospital (incorporating the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing)
- National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals
- University College Hospital Grafton Way Building
- Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine
- University College Hospital Macmillan Cancer Centre
- The Hospital for Tropical Diseases
- University College Hospital at Westmoreland Street
We are dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of many complex illnesses. UCLH specialises in women's health and the treatment of cancer, infection, neurological, gastrointestinal and oral disease. It has world class support services including critical care, imaging, nuclear medicine and pathology.
At UCLH, we have a real 'One Team' ethos, and our values - safety, kindness, teamwork and improving, are central to the way we work. This is supported by our staff, who voted us as the #1 NHS Acute Trust to work for in the whole of England.
For more information regarding the main responsibilities of the role, please refer to the attached Job Description.
On receipt of Mathematics & English certificates, shortlisted applicants will be invited to a group assessment. Upon successful completion of the assessment, applicants will be invited to an individual interview in the afternoon. This will take place on date 10th January 2024 at our head offices in London.
Applicants must not be in any other form of education, or have completed a course in the same subject at level 3 or higher.
Please ensure that you can make this date before applying.
We are committed to sustainability and have pledged to become a carbon net zero health service, embedding sustainable practice throughout UCLH. We have set an ambitious target of net zero for our direct emissions by 2031 and indirect emissions by 2040.
Knowledge and Qualifications
Skills and Abilities
Personal & People Development
Quality and service improvement
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).