Paediatric Staff Nurse
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
We are seeking to appoint dynamic, highly motivated, enthusiastic registered children's nurses to join us in working as part of the paediatric nursing team at QE Gateshead. The post holder will work as part of the nursing team within the Pea Pod, day unit and outpatient area to ensure high quality care is delivered to children, their families / carers requiring specialist support and advice throughout their pathway. It will be expected that the successful applicant will undertake any additional study and training that is required of them. In addition to internal shift pattern rotation, the successful applicant is expected to undertake a rotation between the departments. There will be many opportunities to work together with a range of staff inside and outside of the business unit, therefore excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to work both independently and as a team member will be essential.
Successful candidates will be expected to adopt a flexible approach to working in order to meet the needs of the service.
If you are interested in applying for this post and feel that you possess the relevant qualities and skills to complement our existing team and improve services for patients we look forward to hearing from you.
Candidates considering applying are strongly advised to contact the Ward Manager / Sister
We currently have two twelve month fixed term and one six month fixed term vacancies available.
Previous applicants need not re-apply.
Main duties of the job
- Enthusiastic and Flexible
- Ability to work within a team or as an independent practitioner
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high pressure area
- Good communication skills
- Ability to form good relationships with children and their families
- Good organisational skills and ability to manage own workload
- Previous experience caring for young people
- Motivated and hard working
- Ability to carryout nursing assessments and observations
- Recognition of the sick child
The Paediatric team are a friendly, small team who excel in providing high quality, compassionate care to children and their families.
Paediatrics services at QE Gateshead encompasses a number of varied care settings including an emergency assessment and 24 hour short stay area within ECC (peapod), a children's day unit and children's outpatients services including general paediatrics, community paediatrics and specialist clinics. The service has a clear patient focus and a reputation for quality and excellence within the Business Unit.
We are based within the adult emergency care centre.
Paediatrics is part of the surgical business unit. The team comprises of a senior sister, 4 junior sisters, staff nurses, health care assistants and a nursery nurse. The team is supported by a matron and senior leadership team.
- To promote and deliver patient centred care aligned with the Trust vision and Nursing and Midwifery strategy.
- To take a lead role in the absence of the Senior Sister/Charge Nurse/Deputy Sister.
- To deliver all aspects of care and may be required to demonstrate procedures and supervise qualified and/or unqualified staff.
- Responsible for the patients clinical journey along agreed patient care pathways, supported by evidence based practice.
- To provide the highest standard of safe, effective and compassionate care through the effective use of evidence based practice in line with agreed local and national standards and the NMC Code.
- To support a continuously improving service, in line with the clinical governance framework, Trust objectives, and the NHS performance framework.
- To provide clinical advice and support to the nursing and multi -professional team to facilitate the effective delivery of care to patients at all times.
- To continually develop professionally to ensure the post holder has the appropriate level of skill, knowledge and competence to meet service/specialty requirements.
- To participate in Preceptorship/ mentorship and development programmes.
This vacancy is part of our refer a friend scheme, this means if a friend who currently works for us has told you about this vacancy you could both receive a cash payment. The full scheme details are included with the additional documents for this role.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).