Senior Occupational Therapist- Virtual Wards - Medical Therapy Team
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Occupational Therapy Department within the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead as part of our expanding Virtual Wards team. This role is ideally suited to an existing or emerging Band 6 who has a passion for supporting patients to proactively manage functional decline as a result of respiratory or frailty complications.
The aim of the role is to support patients to remain at home through the delivery of timely intervention so we are seeking an enthusiastic and flexible therapist who has sound clinical reasoning and risk management skills.
As this is a new role, you will have excellent development opportunities including service improvements, developing the role and supporting the development of others. You will be well supported by the clinical MDT as well as the Occupational Therapy Department; including regular clinical and professional supervision, peer support and access to CPD opportunities.
You will be required to work a shift pattern between the hours of 08:00 - 17:00 and will be required to support delivery of the weekend working rota within the department, this is currently self-rostered. The post holder is required to hold a UK driving license with access to a vehicle for work purposes.
We welcome enquires so please don't hesitate to get in touch if you would like to know more about this exciting role.
Main duties of the job
- To act as an experienced autonomous practitioner, providing specialised occupational therapy assessment and treatment plans for patients with complex acute and/or chronic medical conditions which require intervention to prevent hospital admission.
- To independently manage a caseload, using evidence based and patient centered principles to assess, plan, implement and evaluate interventions.
- To work as a key member of the MDT, in the management of patients admitted to the virtual hospital wards.
- To deliver care primarily within acute (virtual wards, wards) and within the patient's own home ( community settings).
- To support and supervise qualified and non-qualified staff within the department.
- To contribute to service development and the learning culture within the department.
This vacancy is part of our 'refer a friend' scheme, this means if a friend who currently works for us has told you about this vacancy you could both receive a cash payment. The full scheme details are included with the additional documents for this role.
Based in the North East of England we provide a range of hospital and community health services from our leading facilities including the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Blaydon urgent care centre and Bensham Hospital, all within Gateshead.
Established in 2005, we were one of the first foundation trusts in the country and since then have consistently achieved the highest levels of care for patients.
As a group we employ around 4,200 staff and currently provide 600 hospital beds across Gateshead. Our primary focus is on providing excellent general health services to our local community complemented by key specialist areas including Gynaecology, maternity, palliative care and old age psychiatry.
Alongside a full range of local hospital services, we provide breast screening services for Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland and parts of Durham - and we are the North Eastern hub for the National Bowel Cancer and AAA Screening Programmes, covering a population of around seven million people.
- To work primarily within the Medical and Older Persons Occupational Therapy team as part of the virtual ward model of delivery. This may involve loan working.
- To be professionally and legally responsible and accountable for all aspects of your own work including the management of patients in your care.
- Responsible to the Band 7 Occupational Therapy Medical and Surgical Team Lead.
- To work as part of the multi-disciplinary team to deliver a holistic patient-centered approach to care. To regularly liaise with MDT members including those from heath, social services and voluntary agencies to ensure an integrated and comprehensive service is provided.
- To ensure that patients are identified for prompt discharge from the service and handover to community services as required.
- To provide leadership for more junior staff, as agreed with senior staff.
- To support the Band 7 Team Lead Occupational Therapist in planning, coordinating, and delivering the service provided to patients and to assist in the development, planning and progression of service provision.
- To deputise for the Band 7 Team Lead Occupational Therapist in their absence as required.
- To supervise other qualified and non-qualified staff within the team
- To supervise Occupational Therapy students on clinical placements.
- To participate in CPD and develop skills and knowledge through participation in in-service training.
- Maintaining Records as an autonomous practitioner.
- To be an active participant in the weekend working rota
Qualifications and Training
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).