Senior Occupational Therapist
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
The closing date is 15 June 2023
Gateshead Health have an exciting new opportunity for a Band 6 occupational therapist with experience in Dementia care to create a new service across The Younger Persons Memory Service and The Specialist Memory Hub. This opportunity will suit an occupational therapist with experience working in mental health, who is keen to bring creativity and passion to developing your own service.
You will be supported with clinical supervision by the B7 Team Lead Occupational Therapist from the Older Person's Mental Health service alongside full support and managerial supervision of B7 Lead Specialist Mental Health Nurse.
There is also the opportunity within the Younger Persons Memory Service to develop therapy focussed groups which meet the needs of this bespoke population.
The post holder will fulfil the main duties of a Band 6 Occupational Therapist: supporting junior staff with supervision, ensuring sharing of current research and evidence-based practice throughout the department and wider. To deputise for Band 7 when necessary and support the senior leadership team within the department.
We are committed to supporting and developing our staff and we offer a fair and equitable place to work by being inclusive and approachable. If you think this opportunity sounds interesting,
Main duties of the job
- To provide specialist occupational therapy assessment and treatment for client's accessing the Younger Persons Memory Service and Specialist Memory Hub. To work as an experienced autonomous practitioner.
- To support development of the Occupational Therapy service within The Younger Persons Memory Specialist Memory Hub and Younger Person's with dementia services sharing the occupational therapy perspective in practice.
- To independently manage a caseload, using evidence-based practice and patient centered principles to assess, plan, implement and evaluate interventions. To manage and supervise junior staff and students and support with training and development of staff within the mental health team.
- To work within nurse led multi-disciplinary services with clinical supervision and professional support provided by occupational therapy team lead.
- The post holder will assist in the delivery of the occupational therapy service across a range of health and social care locations including the patient's own home.
- To be involved in a variety of service improvement initiatives and support delivery of individual and group work therapies. To support the occupation focus of optimizing function of occupational performance in activities of daily living across the multi-disciplinary team.
Based in the North East of England we provide a range of hospital and community health services from our leading facilities including the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Blaydon urgent care centre and Bensham Hospital, all within Gateshead.
Established in 2005, we were one of the first foundation trusts in the country and since then have consistently achieved the highest levels of care for patients.
As a group we employ around 4,200 staff and currently provide 600 hospital beds across Gateshead. Our primary focus is on providing excellent general health services to our local community complemented by key specialist areas including Gynaecology, maternity, palliative care and old age psychiatry.
Alongside a full range of local hospital services, we provide breast screening services for Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland and parts of Durham and we are the North Eastern hub for the National Bowel Cancer and AAA Screening Programmes, covering a population of around seven million people.
18 May 2023
Agenda for change
£35,392 to £42,618 a year per annum
To work primarily within the Specialist Memory Hub and Younger Persons with Dementia services. This will involve lone working at times. To create a new role within two established services, networking and liaising with the multi-disciplinary teams.
To be professionally and legally responsible and accountable for all aspects of your own work including the risk assessment and management of patients in your care.
Operational responsibility to Band 7 Nursing Team Manager; professional responsibility to OT Team Manager.
To work as part of the multi-disciplinary team to deliver a holistic patient-centered approach to care. To work inter-professionally with MDT members as well as multi-agency working across health, social services, and voluntary services to ensure an integrated and comprehensive service is provided to our service users, families and carers.
To plan, co-ordinate and deliver treatments which optimise an individuals function with activities of daily living and improve quality outcomes.
To provide leadership for more junior staff. To develop your leadership skills in a supportive environment.
To support the Band 7 Team Lead nurses and occupational therapist in planning, coordinating, and delivering the service provided to patients and to assist in the development, planning and progression of service provision.
To deputise for the Band 7 Team Lead in their absence as required.
To supervise other qualified and non-qualified staff within the team
To supervise Occupational Therapy and other health care professions students on clinical placements.
To participate in CPD and develop skills and knowledge through participation in in-service training.
Maintaining Records as an autonomous practitioner
- Qualified Occupational Therapist
- 1 years Experience
- Experience of Dementia care
- Evidence of delivery of therapeutic services
- Experience of AMPS assessment Tool
Knowledge and Skills
- knowledge of dementia care
- Experience of AMPS assessment tool
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
For questions about the job, contact:
Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)