Assistant Service Manager - Trauma & Orthopaedics/ENT Surgery
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust
This job is now closed
An opportunity is available on a 6-month fixed-term basis for an Assistant Service Manager, to support the Trauma and Orthopaedic & ENT services.
We are offering you a stepping stone into operational management.
Our on-the-the-job training will help you to develop leadership and management skills and learn to manage high-volume services.
You will work directly with the Service Manager, General Manager, Clinical Leads to help ensure day-to-day service running, working in partnerships with support services to deliver the best possible outcomes to our patients.
Main duties of the job
The Assistant Service Manager will work closely with the Service Manager and General Manager to provide a highly effective and efficient service delivery for the division.
You will have an operational lead role for all administrative functions with additional responsibilities, working under the direction of the service manager.
You will have a key role in delivering the operational plan and supporting the divisional strategy.
You will work closely with other divisions and corporate departments, e.g. procurement, finance, workforce and organisational development to improve the quality and effectiveness of all services provided.
You will provide effective service management in respect of business planning, finance, human resources, health and safety and general operational issues.
Support the development of service line reporting and service line management across the division.
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust (PAHT) provides a full range of general acute, outpatient and diagnostic services at The Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow, the Herts and Essex Hospital in Bishop's Stortford, and St Margaret's Hospital in Epping.
We employ 3,500 staff and serve a local population of around 350,000 people living in west Essex and east Hertfordshire, centred on the M11 corridor and the towns of Harlow, Bishop's Stortford and Epping. Our extended catchment area incorporates a population of up to 500,000 and includes the areas of Hoddesdon, Cheshunt and Broxbourne in Hertfordshire.
The Princess Alexandra Promise to our patients as identified by our 3 values which will contribute to improving our patient experiences:
Patient at heart - Always holding the patient and their wellbeing at the centre of our thoughts and efforts
Everyday excellence - Sharing and celebrating our successes, being honest when we get it wrong, giving us the ability to learn from both
Creative collaboration - Knowing strength comes from diversity, we combine our experiences, skills and talents, working together to find new and better ways to care
The Trust believes in investing in all our staff and rewarding high standards of care whilst building for excellence and in return we expect our staff to uphold the Trust values to the highest level.
An extremely varied and interesting role for someone looking to climb the ladder.
Some of your duties will include :-
- Directly manage the administrative staff in the division and to ensure an effective and efficient service to both external and internal stakeholders.
- To design, enable and project manage specific service improvements to enable a more efficient and sustainable service.
- Support the service manager and deputy general manager in the daily management of inpatients/outpatients, including clinic capacity, theatre scheduling, utilisation and co-ordinating staffing rotas where appropriate.
- Support the production of business cases for specific service developments.
- Support the implementation of and the trust strategic framework and clinical board and division objectives and policies e.g. financial and operational plan, performance management framework, quality and safety plan, IM&T strategy and discharge protocol. To take a lead role in some of these processes and provide the general manager and service manager with regular update reports on progress.
- Provide support in the implementation of the people strategy and policies including effective management of staff performance, effective communication processes, recruitment and retention and innovative flexible working practices. To also monitor staff absenteeism through sickness and fully implement the appropriate policies.
- Support the delivery and evaluation of the divisions quality and safety ensuring standards of service requirements working towards a world class service.
- To represent the division at various meetings as required such as performance review, capacity planning meeting, clinical board meetings, etc.
This is just a small sample of the duties involved for a more in-depth Job and Person specification please read the attached document