Service Manager - Acute Medicine
The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust
This job is now closed
The Acute Medicine Department are pleased to invite applications for the Service Manager post in the Urgent & Emergency Care division. This is a dynamic and exciting role that will offer great development opportunities for the right candidate.
You will work collaboratively with the operational, medical and nursing teams as an integral part of an effective and patient-focused triumvirate team to support excellent patient care and experience. You will need to be able to manage and successfully deliver your competing priorities to agreed deadlines in an operational role where day-to-day pressures continually fluctuate depending upon demand.
You should be an enthusiastic and pro-active leader with the ability to work collaboratively to deliver the best possible quality of care and experience to our patients. This role does have direct and indirect line management duties, so it is key that you should be able to identify positive achievements and areas of improvement and then collaborate with colleagues to deliver the appropriate actions both to improve and to sustain those improvements. You should be able to demonstrate the experience and skills necessary to contribute to the delivery of a clear strategic direction and deliver long-term transformational improvements in collaboration with clinical colleagues.
It is essential that you are able to work flexibly, including on weekends and bank holidays to support the department at times of peak seasonal demand.
Main duties of the job
- Provide effective leadership to specific clinical and non-clinical teams and individuals.
- Provide and receive complex, sensitive and contentious information where a wide range of skills including persuasion, motivation, negotiation, empathy and reassurance are required e.g. cost improvement plan requiring redeployment of staff, modernising services, implementing change, disciplinary and capability procedures.
- Support the establishment of a clear vision for these specific work areas with senior colleagues to create a working environment that empowers staff to achieve optimal performance
- Ensure the achievement of national care targets
- Lead on the production of the monthly divisional performance report for business meeting
- Contribute to the wider management of the division and of the trust on specific projects as and when appropriate
- Ensure that there is widespread implementation of robust people (HR) practices, in line with the Trusts people strategy and Trust policies
- Participate in the development and resourcing of the workforce and role development in line with service need and local and national trends
- Monitor effective staff communication and involvement ensuring staff have the opportunity to be involved in and influence the planning and development of services
This is an exciting time for PAHT. Over the next five years we are on a digital transformation journey, leading us to ourbrand new hospital. You'll be part of the team leading and supporting our organisation in a diverse and challenging role; a role which can make a significant difference to our patients, staff and the future direction of our services.
Our people demonstrate energy and commitment towards improving the care and experiences provided to our patients and the drive to be an 'outstanding' organisation.
It's never been a better time to join us.
For further details, please refer to the attached job description and person specification, available to download at any time.