Band 4 Personal Assistant -Bank
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
This job is now closed
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust Staff Bank are seeking experienced Personal Assistants to work a variety of roles across Imperial Trust.
A successful candidate in this role will be an experienced PA with experience working in a hospital enviornment. They will be efficient and proactive, and will be willing and able to work at Charing Cross Hospital, St. Mary's Hospital and Hammersmith Hospitals when required. They will also be willing and able to work full time shifts, Monday to Friday.
Main duties of the job
- To provide administrative and secretarial support to the Department Lead and other department staff as required. Demonstrate a high level of communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with a wide range of NHS staff, patients and external agencies.
- The postholder will provide a comprehensive and highly efficient administration and secretarial service to Consultants and Senior Managers within their department.
- To communicate effectively with patients / carers regarding appointment and treatment related matters.
- The postholder will be expected to work independently and manage and prioritise their workload, liaising closely with the wider administration team in the Department.
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust Values
- We are absolutely committed to ensuring that our patients have the best possible experience within Kind - We are considerate and thoughtful, so you feel respected and included.
- Collaborative - We actively seek others’ views and ideas, so we achieve more together.
- Expert - We draw on our diverse skills, knowledge and experience, so we provide the best possible care.
- Aspirational - We are receptive and responsive to new thinking, so we never stop learning, discovering and improving
1. Patient/Client Care
- To act as first point of contact for patients and members of the general public seeking information and support from the hospital.
- Triage the calls appropriately, as well as deal sympathetically with people who may be bereaved, distressed or angry using tact, persuasion and discretion. Assessing priorities and initiating action as required.
- To provide patients with appropriate information relating to their hospital appointment / procedure.
- To provide an agreed level of general and clinical information relating to tests and investigations. Analysing problems and finding solutions as well as using judgment to know when to pass the caller on to a member of the clinical team.
- To be able to arrange Outpatient and Inpatient appointments and investigations for patients where appropriate. Ensure that patients are informed accordingly.
- Work closely with the wider department to ensure a smooth and timely transfer of patient notes/records, scans between trusts and from GPs through the patient pathway.
- To type correspondence or other documents on behalf of the consultants and managers.
- To liaise with external agencies including other hospitals and General Practitioners and provide reports/results where appropriate.
- To liaise with other departments (clinical and administrative) within the Trust and take action where appropriate.
- Maintain a separate filing system for all other non-medical correspondence.
- To promote and maintain standards of health and safety within the work environment, reporting and recording accidents / incidents promptly.
- To demonstrate a high standard of customer care by being courteous and helpful at all times to patients, visitors and staff.
- Deal with telephone queries from Patients, General Practitioners, Consultants and other Hospitals, as well as general Departmental matters.
- To ensure all appointments are made in line with the Trust Access Policy and to identify and escalate any potential breaches at the earliest opportunity.
- To be able to converse with patients regarding their current medical status and any medication they are taking.
- Proof reading clinical correspondence and typing in patient information.
- Update patient information leaflets.
- Organise attendance, travel and hotel arrangements for meetings and conferences.
- To provide an agreed level of general and clinical information relating to test and investigations, using sound judgement to know when to pass the caller on to a member of the clinical team and when to deal with directly.
- Act as an intermediary to take messages for the Senior Management Team and Medical Team within the Department, in person and over the telephone, and ensure that all messages are accurately conveyed to the appropriate person.
- To use tact and discretion when dealing with telephone calls from Patients, GPs and others, in particular when explaining the nature of examinations or dealing with sensitive and confidential information surrounding HSG bookings.
- To relay critical information swiftly and accurately to internal and external partners.
- Identify improved ways of working and propose changes to practices, procedures and processes in own area of work as well as others areas of work where relevant. Implement any changes to own area of work.
- To work autonomously within the Administration Team, managing own workload effectively and only referring to line manager when necessary.
- Prepare presentation materials, agendas and minutes on a regular basis.
- Read and respond (drafting replies as required) to email correspondence on behalf of others as required.
3. Information Management
- Liaise with other Departments within the Hospital, for example the Wards, other Specialities, the Waiting List Office, Medical Records, Outpatients and IT and to ensure that the Department interfaces efficiently with them.
- Maintain administrative systems (electronic and manual). This includes managing an accurate and up-to-date appointments diary, scheduling and planning the Senior Management Team and Medical Team future engagements including organising meetings, collating appropriate papers and gathering information in relation to the specific meetings. Assess the priority of appointment requests, and make appointments with senior managers and senior medical staff within the organisation as required. Liaise with senior managers, clinicians and staff within Hammersmith Hospitals Trust and other Trusts, purchasing authorities and other outside organisations
- Use, maintain and update the Trust’s PAS/ICHIS system.
- To use IT templates and mail merge as required in order to generate letters.
- To compile and collate information for statistical and waiting time reports as and when requested. The role will include the new design of Excel spreadsheets and local databases and their ongoing management and development. Regular reports will include the production of weekly Risk reports, extracting data from the Datix system.
- To produce activity and information reports and analysis as requested.
- To comply at all times with the Trusts data protection, confidentiality and information governance policies.
- To record all Medical annual leave and sickness on the Trust e HR system.
- To continually switch between using the Radiology Information System and the PAS/ICHIS systems as well as all Microsoft programmes.
- The taking and transcribing of formal minutes for meetings.
- Typing and data entry for Consultants and Managers using Microsoft packages and Departmental IT systems.
- Production of weekly medical rotas as part of supporting the Clinical Lead and responsibility for collating and entering staff information for the e-HR system.
- Dealing with non-medical referrers and the associated administrative tasks this will involve.
- Working with clinicians and senior management team to help produce cross site departmental policies.
4. Financial Resource Management
- Purchasing stationery order for office equipment and ensure stock levels are maintained.
- Accepting office deliveries and appropriately signing for stocks of drinking water or stationery items/office supplies.
5. Human Resource Management
- Arranging honorary contracts for Medical Staff and visitors.
- Completing e HR on behalf of the Directorate – keeping accurate records of annual leave, study leave and sickness of the Consultants and Managers.
- Responsible for training and supervision of new member of staff to the Team.
6. Other duties
- Provide cover for colleagues as appropriate this includes all Imaging Departments.
- Arranging meetings on behalf of others as well as Departmental meetings.
- To arrange training events, including room bookings, liaising with trainers, making IT equipment available and organising refreshments if necessary.
- Work with other members of the team to ensure quality standards are adhered to.
- To present a positive image of the Trust at all times.
- Photocopying, faxing, filing and general administrative tasks as necessary.
- Undertake any other duties requested as appropriate to the banding.
- To be able to work under pressure in a sometimes stressful environment.
- To constantly evaluate and prioritise own workload in accordance with competing demands from Patients, medical staff and others.
- Responsible for managing the daily post and actioning items where appropriate. To use initiative with regard to patient referral letters and to take appropriate action to ensure that patient needs are met.
- To organise rotas and communicate these effectively throughout the Department.
- Able to use competent IT and keyboard skills continuously throughout the course of the day
- Able to work in a busy environment with constant interruptions
- To use excellent communication skills when dealing with Patients, Doctors, other Departments/Wards, Porters, GPs and other external agencies.
- Trouble-shooting any service problems with Service Provider directly.
- To deputise and work closely with the Band 5 PA posts in the team, to accept delegated work from the Band 5 PA posts (within the remit of a Band 4 position) and to work more collaboratively within the team to deal with ‘pooled work’ tasks.
- To be proactive and well co-ordinated with excellent communication skills in written and verbal correspondence with a high degree of accuracy
- To participate in an ongoing development plan including KSF courses and on-the-job learning opportunities.