Outpatients Administration Clerk
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
This job is now closed
Job Title -Outpatient Administration Clerk
Hours per week-37.5 hours per week
Perm/Fixed Term - Permanent
Salary-£22,383 Per Annum pro rata
Closing Date-17th December 2023
Interview Date-09th January 2024
We have an exciting opportunity to join our Outpatients Administration team on a full or part time permanent basis. You are invited to join our dynamic and highly effective administrative Outpatient teams, where you will have the chance to learn and develop new skills. You will be working across our Outpatient administration areas.
This post may close early due to high numbers of applicationsso you are advised to apply promptly.
All correspondence for this vacancy will be sent by email; please check your account regularly including your Junk and SPAM areas.
A great and friendly place to work, so bring your passion, commitment and expertise and enjoy the opportunities to make a difference every day.
Main duties of the job
To provide a specialised, comprehensive and confidential administration service, working primarily in Outpatients Reception in accordance with Departmental, Trust and National standards, policies and procedures. To act as a source of advice and guidance regarding the service.
Here at George Eliot our vision to 'excel at patient care' takes centre stage. An ever evolving clinically-led acute service provider we are on a journey to continually provide high quality, safe and responsive services delivered by inspiring, friendly and compassionate staff who share our corporate values which underpin everything we do. Our values are not just words on a piece of paper, they bond us together, reflect our ambition and shape who we are:
Effective Open Communication
excellence and safety in everything we do
Challenge but support
Expect respect and dignity
Local health that inspires confidence
Benefits:On-site nursery, 27 days minimum annual leave plus bank holidays, cycle to work scheme, flexible working, extensive in-house course learning directory, buying and selling of annual leave, subsidised restaurant, tranquillity garden and generous subsidised on-site parking.
- Deal with all telephone calls relating to the outpatient appointment and booking system, ensuring all calls are dealt with in a polite, pleasant and professional manner.
- Book all new, follow-up and elective appointments according to the Patient Access policy ensuring that all appointments are made using direct booking systems and within waiting time targets.
- Record patients on the Lorenzo system according to data quality standards and the Patient Access Policy.
- To act as a first point of contact for dealing with enquiries and take action as necessary liaising and effectively communicating at all levels using written, oral and electronic methods.
- To ensure, wherever possible, that all documentation is up-to-date, in an orderly fashion and available whenever decisions are being made, reporting exceptional circumstances where necessary.
- To continually contribute to patient and business improvement Agendas. This will require undertaking any project work as directed including obtaining information using current systems and share ideas for potential service improvement.
- To assist with the implementation and maintain an efficient office management system/procedures to enable the Department to optimise their standards of service.
- Support team members. This will require undertaking appropriate staff training and development as required, providing cross-cover on a reciprocal basis in the absence of colleagues and providing day to day supervision where required.
- Registration of internal referrals
- Management of e-referrals on the Electronic Referral Service (eRs)
- Booking of all patient appointments in line with Trust and National targets
- Contacting patients for short notice appointments aiding clinic utilisation
- Managing the external Outpatient letter system
- Managing the NHS mailbox for IPTs
- Referral verification (chasing missing referrals)
- Contacting patients to inform them of short notice clinic cancellations / reschedules
- Greet patients check and update personnel details if necessary on Lorenzo and attend into relevant clinic.
- Direct patients to appropriate areas.
- To outcome all patients attendances, ensuring that all patients have either been re-appointed, discharged, suspended, DNAs or added to the waiting list in accordance with agreed procedure
- To cancel, re-appoint and reschedule patients appointments at patient or Consultant request
- Absorb information from many different points of contact including patients, nursing and clinical staff, secretaries, outside locations, GP surgeries and other hospitals by written, verbal and email communication. Act on the information and distribute accurately.
- To prepare all necessary documentation and/or paperwork for clinics
- To telephone patients at short notice to fill empty clinic slots
- To correct any operator errors within Lorenzo following protocol.
- Works flexibly on a rota basis to cover Outpatient reception and Orthotics areas as required.
- To ensure that Consultants are aware of any patients who DNAd clinic appointment and undertake action as required.
- To open and sort Outpatients post daily and to take appropriate action.
- To provide cover in any other team or department within the Directorate if required
Experience and Knowledge
Qualification(s) and Professional Training
Skills and Abilities
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).