Assistant Director of Finance - Financial Management
Whittington Hospital NHS Trust
This job is now closed
The finance team at the Whittington are now recruiting to this exciting role which is integral to the success of the organisation. As a key member of the senior team, you will be responsible for the overall management and performance of the Trust's financial management function including reporting.
You will be responsible for enhancing relationships between financial management and other departments and will require active engagement with clinical and non-clinical teams in financial performance management, cost improvement development and ensuring that the financial planning process is sound. You will advise on highly complex issues and provide financial and business planning advice to the Trust.
Main duties of the job
The key responsibilities will be:
- To be accountable for the provision of a high-quality financial management, governance and advisory service to the Board of Directors, Executive Directors, budget holders, senior managers and clinical leaders within the Trust.
- Ensure the production of the Trust's Annual plan to meet internal requirements and the external reporting requirements of NHS Improvement.
- To lead the production of annual budgets for the organisation through the budget setting process and the financial elements of the Annual Business Plan.
- Monitor the Trust's financial position.
- Responsible for reviewing and challenging the financial value of cost efficiency plans and monthly forecasts with Finance teams and other relevant parties.
We are looking for an astute, driven, flexible and determined individual who has enjoyed a progressive career, possess outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and has a passion for best practice. You will be a natural leader who has a keen eye for detail, as well as adept at managing and building relationships.
Whittington Health serves a richly diverse population and works hard to ensure that all our services are fair and equally accessible to everyone. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way we look after our staff. We aim to employ a workforce which is as representative as possible of this population, so we are open to the value of differences in age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, and religion or belief. The Trust believes that as a public sector organisation we have an obligation to have recruitment, training, promotion and other formal employment policies and procedures that are sensitive to these differences. We think that by doing so, we are better able to treat our patients as well as being a better place to work.
For more information, please access the following link: https://www.whittington.nhs.uk/
- Lead and manage the financial management department to ensure high quality accurate financial information and advice is provided to support managers and the Board in effective decision making.
- Create and establish systems, procedures, guidelines, policies and timetables for Financial Management within the Trust to ensure the efficiency, integrity and effectiveness of process and the delivery of key strategic departmental & organisational objectives.
- Responsible for a monitoring and reporting regime, to provide advice and direction on all aspects of performance, including but not exclusively finance, activity and workforce.
- Manage the financial management department to ensure high quality accurate financial information and advice is provided to support managers and the Board in effective decision making.
- Manage all budgetary control systems that are in place to enable the Trust to keep income and expenditure in balance, including, but not exclusively the control of reserves and virements to budgets.
- Manage the co-ordination and delivery of effective financial management advice to Executive Directors, Senior Managers and all other budget holders within the organisation.
- Lead on the development and implementation of any Cost Improvement Plan as necessary to achieve financial balance on behalf of the Trust.
- Lead and coordinate the annual budget setting process in conjunction with and in support of the approved Financial Strategy, the agreed Operating Plan and associated SLA(s) and in support of the required cost improvement plan.
Skills and abilites
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).