Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
The closing date is 25 February 2024
Consultant Anaesthetists are required to support the department of Anaesthesia.
This post comprises of 10 PA's, which typically include direct clinical care of 8.5 PA and supporting professional activity of 1.5 PA. Additional SPA activity may be approved with mutual agreement for roles within the organisation.
The successful candidate will be contracted to Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and will be based at King's Mill Hospital. A second hospital in Newark offers a variety of surgical / gynaecological and orthopaedic sessions and the appointee will be required to undertake elective theatre sessions as required.
All consultants are required to live within a reasonable distance of the Trust and be able to attend within thirty minutes when on call.
This is a full-time position but candidates wishing to work part-time or in a job-share are encouraged to apply. If a part-time or job-share person is appointed modification of the job content will be discussed with the appointee on a personal basis. They will be required to devote substantially the whole of his/her time for the appointed sessions to the duties of the post and to give them priority at these times.
You will work with Consultants in Anaesthesia, Critical Care, Theatre Staff, Divisional Managers, other members of the Anaesthetic Department, other consultant colleagues, senior nursing staff and management of the hospital.
Main duties of the job
- To assist in the provision and development of a safe, effective, and efficient anaesthetic service and support the Trust in its aim to provide the best possible care to patients.
- Out-of-hours responsibilities, including participation in the consultant on-call rota.
- A willingness to undertake additional professional responsibilities at local, regional or national levels.
- To assist in the professional supervision and management of junior medical staff including the observance of local employment and human resource policies and procedures.
- To organise and participate in teaching, examination and accreditation duties for undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing medical education activity, locally and nationally.
Research & Audit
- To be actively involved in participating in medical audit, the Trust's Clinical Governance processes and in continuing professional development.
- To implement audit and research findings as appropriate.
Policy & Planning
- To contribute to the development of clinical and organisational protocols.
- To review and develop policies for clinical practice and effectiveness.
- To participate in the strategic planning for the service.
We are able to offer an attractive recruitment and retention premium, 50% of which to be paid on commencement (full details to be discussed with individual applicants).
The successful candidates will be welcomed into a department with a current substantive consultant establishment of twenty-five. In addition, there are up to 20 Specialist / SAS / Clinical Fellow grade Anaesthetists. The trainee establishment consists of 9 CTs, together with 7 ST3+s all rotating from the East Midlands School of Anaesthesia (EMSA). The department also has two Foundation Year 1 doctors and one Foundation Year 2 doctor on 4-month rotations.
We manage our service with open discussion, listening to and respecting everyone's views. The clinical speciality leads have the responsibility to facilitate change and improvements in the service supported by the leadership team. We encourage everyone to be both leader and follower to help deliver improvements. Active participation in service development, departmental management, clinical governance & education is required.
The Anaesthetic Department is actively in the process of achieving National Accreditation with The Royal College of Anaesthetists, we expect this to be complete within the next 2 years.
In 2019 the department was shortlisted and received a high commendation at the BMJ awards for Perioperative Team of the Year. In 2018 & 2019 the department was shortlisted for HJS value & safety awards for various projects.
Please see attached job description and person specification for an outline of the main responsibilities.
Management & Administrative Experience
Research & Audit
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).