Cancer / Generic Research Nurse (Band 5)
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
The role of the Band 5 Cancer Research Nurse is to assist in the delivery and co-ordination of commercial research projects involving patients, families and carers at Musgrove Park Hospital.
This post will involve the safe conduct of both commercial and non-commercial research projects involving both NIHR portfolio studies and industry funded research, working within the South West Peninsula Clinical Research Network.
The role will involve facilitating and overseeing cancer studies and achieving both the high and low level objectives of the NIHR at a local level and ensuring the Trust meets its targets for research delivery.
Main duties of the job
The main duties of this role will be to provide expert support to all aspects of the work of the Cancer Research Nurse:
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the clinical teams, recognising the value of skilled open communication in the development of new research activity.
- Provide information and support to patients and carers relating to the research protocol, procedures and treatment, follow-up and ensure that informed consent is obtained.
- Be the contact point/support for trial patients and attend to any concerns they may have.
- To be accountable for the assessment, planning, organisation and ongoing care of research participants, whilst maximising protocol and GCP compliance.
- Undertake the safe analysis, processing and dispatching of pathological samples and completion of relevant documentation at varying time points for individual participants.
- Ability to work to a high level of accuracy in following protocols, data collection, supporting patients and recording of information
- Provide specialist advice and review as necessary by undertaking clinics or during existing appointments, telephone calls and in other clinical settings.
Please refer to the Job Description for full details on the role and responsibilities.
Clinical Research Department provides research governance, management, delivery support, and advice across the whole Trust in all matters that relate to research and development. The current workforce is structured into two main teams with distinct functions Research governance and Research Delivery however the teams work closely together as one department.
Our department Vision is: To support ground-breaking research, working with our partners to improve the health of our communities.
Our department mission is: To embed a culture of research excellence throughout the Trust where all colleagues feel they can contribute to the delivery of research, and support the development of our own highly skilled research specialists.
Musgrove Park Hospital is in Taunton, with excellent transport links and easy access to the coast and surrounding countryside. There are excellent educational facilities in the area and both regional centres of Bristol and Exeter are accessible by road in less than an hour.
This role is funded by the South West Peninsula Clinical Research Network and therefore the post holder will be functioning within the Research Network structure which is overseen nationally by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).
Following the initial induction and training, be able to demonstrate knowledge of research methodology, design and clinical audit and apply evidence-based research findings to professional practice in the speciality and recognise its contribution to Clinical Governance
To practice with supervision and adhere to Clinical Governance initiatives, appropriate Code of professional conduct and hospital policies
Adhere to the ICH guidelines for GCP, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for clinical research and related activities
Promote, monitor and maintain best practice for health, safety and security including:
- Adhere to agreed policies to maximise safety
- Identify any risk in the work area that could affect the safety of patients
- Attend essential training to ensure 100% compliance
- Be aware of potential areas for discrimination in the workplace and take positive action
- Ensure systems focus on equality and diversity
- To identify strategies for recruiting participants into clinical research and providing long term follow up where required
- Ensure honorary contracts are in place and maintained for working within organisations across the locality.
- Maintain a safe and therapeutic environment for clinical trial patients and their carers.
- Ensure that Health and Safety requirements are met in the Department
- Demonstrate awareness of the Ethics and Research and Development Approvals processes through prompt reporting of Serious Adverse events, contributing to submission of Trust application, protocols, advertisements and amendments
Liaise with your line manager, Lead Research Nurse, Research Manager and Assistant Managers to provide progress reports throughout the project in a timely manner.
Qualifications and Training
Behaviours aligned with trust values
Skills and abilities
Planning and Organising Skills
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
For questions about the job, contact:
12 January 2022
Agenda for change
£25,655 to £31,534 a year per annum, pro rata