North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
We are seeking an ambitious and innovative Consultant Nephrologist to develop further and deliver a modern responsive nephrology services to the population of Greater Peterborough, Huntingdonshire, and South West Lincolnshire. Our services include a 7-day a week inpatient dialysis at Peterborough City Hospital, AKI and general nephrology service at Hinchingbrooke Hospital and home-based renal replacement therapy.
You will be a valued member of an inclusive and supportive multidisciplinary team that works collaboratively to ensure equitable provision of nephrology services across the whole of the Trust as well as to contribute to the expansion of the local haemodialysis vascular and peritoneal dialysis access service.
As our new Consultant Nephrologist, you will have the opportunity to challenge all aspects of the service and to lead the development of inpatient nephrology services as well as to lead on the provision of outpatient dialysis services, in collaboration with our renal tertiary care partners and home care team.
You will be encouraged to actively participate in clinical trials, both portfolio as well as industry. Our current studies are ASCEND NHQ, I-RACE, PERIT-PD, ISCHEMIA-CKD, and RaDaR; CHORUS is in the follow up phase.
We are committed to supporting your career in an environment where your skills and initiatives are valued. We respect your wellbeing and we are open to flexibility in your working patterns.
Main duties of the job
This role has been agreed for 10 PAs with 8.5 PAs allocated to Direct Clinical Care activities and 1.5 Supporting Professional Activities. Additional PAs can be negotiated and agreed at annual job planning meetings. You will participate in the Renal on-call rota (1:6).
You will provide in-patient renal consult service to other medical and surgical specialties, as well as leading renal outpatient clinics at Peterborough City Hospital, Stamford Hospital, Hinchingbrooke Hospital, and Johnson Community Hospital.
You will play a major role in expanding our AKI service to Hinchgbrooke Hospital and in consolidating the vascular access service by providing tunnelled dialysis line and Tenckhoff catheter insertions at Peterborough City Hospital.
You will be expected to regularly contribute to the under- and postgraduate teaching programs, including contribution to regional renal ST training, alongside other nephrologists from the East Midlands Renal Network (EMRN).
As part of your leadership role, you will supervise and train junior medical staff, including doctors and nurses. You will have strong commitment to medical audit, continuing professional development (CPD) and annual revalidation.
North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust provides acute care to our local communities via two District General Hospitals in Peterborough and Huntingdon, and a community hospital in Stamford.
We are promoting flexible working and a health work/home life balance. Agile working options are automatically considered for all roles within the Trust.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from disabled, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) and candidates from our local communities.
Your package with us includes a lot more than just your pay and here are a few of the additional benefits that are available to you as an employee:
- Access to the NHS Pension Scheme
- Relocation allowance in line with the Trust policy
- Generous Holiday Entitlement, starting at 27 days a year (for full time workers) plus bank/public holidays
- Free staff car parking on all our hospital sites during this financial year
- In-house Physiotherapy Services
- Career development and training opportunities
- Emotional Wellbeing Service covering a range of online support, access to mobile apps and 24/7 counselling services
- Subsidised meals at our hospital restaurants
- Access to exclusive discounts, cashback and vouchers via NHS Discounts and Blue Light Card
If you share our values and vision and are passionate about working with people on what matters to them, you could be a real asset to Team North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust.
- To contribute to expand the local haemodialysis vascular as well as peritoneal dialysis access service, in collaboration with surgery and radiology colleagues.
- To provide inpatient care for patients with renal conditions at PCH ward A8.
- To prompt in-patient renal consult service to other medical and surgical specialties.
- To work with the established consultants to ensure equitable provision of nephrology services across the whole of the Trust. This will include collaborative working, mutual cover for annual and study leave, and ensuring adherence to principles of clinical governance.
- To lead on the provision of outpatient dialysis services, in collaboration with our renal tertiary care partners and home care team, including provision of out of hours telephone advice for the dialysis units and main hospitals.
To contribute to the departments undergraduate teaching program, as well as to take up an active role in clinical research in collaboration with our tertiary care partners
Management and Administrative Experience
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).