Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trusts
This job is now closed
The Procurement Team at NUH is keen to attract and retain the best talent in NHS Procurement and as such are able to offer an additional £3,000 on top of the starting salary for any MCIPS qualified candidates. There is also an annual £3,000 retention bonus paid as a lump sum after 12 months service. We are happy to discuss this in more detail with any potential candidates.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced procurement professional to join the Procurement team at NUH and really make a difference.
Owing to recent expansion, we have over 90 team members across the Procurement and Supply Chain Team to ensure we are able to support the organisation and offer a first class service.
Reporting directly to a Senior Category Mangers you will be primarily be responsible for a Clinical Category (experience in this category is not essential).
We are offering hybrid working with the option to work from home up to three days per week.
You will be joining a large, friendly and supportive team which offers great opportunities for career progression.
If you are looking to develop your procurement career in the NHS please review the Person Specification to see how your skills can transfer. If you feel you match those requirements we'd love to hear from you.
We are Team NUH: Trust, Empower, Ambitious, Mindful, Nurturing, United & Honest. These are the qualities that we look for in a candidate, to drive innovation, meet the needs of our patients, using our resources wisely.
Main duties of the job
In addition to the below summary you need to familiarise yourself with full Job Description and Person Specification documents attached to this advert.
You will have the discipline to work from an agreed work plan, develop future plans for your portfolio and have sound data management skills.
As a Category Manager you'll be responsible for leading on a range of complex projects for defined categories across NUH, delivering savings and non-financial benefits in a challenging healthcare environment. Delivering effective procurement and supporting the management of key supplier andstakeholder relationships.
We are an award winning Trust with an award winning Procurement Team! We have a national and international reputation for many of our specialist services, including stroke, neurosciences, cancer services and trauma. We are at the forefront of many research programmes and new surgical procedures.
You would also be joining one of the largest teaching Trusts in England. With 17,000 staff, we are one of the biggest employers in the city with a central role in supporting the health and wellbeing of our local population.
Our Procurement Team is growing in order to be able to fully support the organisation and deliver a first class service. We have a number of new roles in addition to our already large team, which creates great opportunity for progression.
We currently have a Director of Procurement and Supply Chain, Head of Supply Chain and a Head of Procurement. Within the Procurement Team we have:
2 x Deputy Head of Procurement (New roles, currently being recruited)4 x Senior Category Managers1x Clinical Procurement Matron8 x Category Managers1 x Assistant Category Manager2 x Category Support Officers (With 5 additional being recruited)3 x Clinical Procurement Specialists
The Operational Procurement Team consists of Buying Team (10) and a Data Team (2).
The Category Management Teams are split into Clinical, Non-Clinical, Capital and Operational/Systems.
You would be supported by highly qualified, experienced, friendly and supportive team and have a wealth of peer support.
The holder of this post will be a Category Manager and accountable to a Senior Category Manager.
The post holder will be responsible for leading specific strategic sourcing projects for defined categories, across NUH and other NHS organizations as required.
Additionally, the post holder will be expected to take a wider customer service role and champion Procurement activity throughout NUH.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The post holder will:
- Running complex OJEU procurements, managing multiple senior stakeholders and reporting and presenting as required via Prince 2 methodology in both written and verbal formats.
- Implementing a category management strategy, delivering effective procurement and supporting the management of key supplier relationships to deliver breakthrough performance in cost, service and quality.
- Leading large procurement activities, delivering savings and other optimal outcomes of a tactical (cost reduction) and strategic nature in a challenging healthcare environment. Accordingly you will be able to demonstrate change management and stakeholder management skills across decentralized business units.
- Gaining competitive advantage for NUH by identifying best practice and leveraging the Trust spend within categories.
- Lead the development of compliant on-line catalogues within Procurement. Implement and action a plan to rationalise the current range of products available through on-line catalogues and manage the ongoing maintenance of this information.
- Seeking out and engaging appropriate internal and external stakeholders at Senior Manager level to provide the information and insight to support the development of the strategic options within categories.
- Where appropriate, working closely with a central support team to ensure the contracts you let deliver best value to NUH through effective supplier management.
- Supporting Senior Category Managers with the negotiation and completion of contracts often of a complex nature to support the category strategy.
- Promote procurement outside the procurement function and promoting change and development as required.
- Working under your own initiative and being responsible for making effective decisions for the benefit of the Trust for a range of delegated projects.
- To be a member of the Procurement Team advising and supporting the Divisional Management Teams on service design and provision.
- To ensure contract compliance across NUH, pursuing procurement excellence through implementation of efficient and effective procurement projects.
- To be a member of the Procurement Team delivering a coordinated work-plan in a timely manner across the Trust and ensuring that procurement best practices are fully represented and best value achieved at all levels.
- To chair or be a member of groups and committees as required by the Deputy Head of Procurement or the needs of the post.
- To take ownership for unresolved problems/queries that are escalated and ensure they are resolved in agreed timescales.
- Imparting skills and transferring procurement and / or product knowledge to Senior Buyers and Buyers in order to assist in skills development.
- To produce regular capacity and performance reports, verbal and written to Senior Category Managers and / or the Deputy Head of Procurement as required.
Training and Qualifications
Communication & Relationships
Analytical & Judgement Skills
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).