Theatre Anaesthetic Practitioner ODP
The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust
This job is now closed
Theatre Anaesthetic Practitioner, ODP Operating Theatres
Are you looking for a new challenge? We are seeking a dedicated and highly motivated Band 5 Operating Department Practitioner, to join our Neurosurgical theatre team.
We currently have seven Neurosurgical theatres which cover cranial, complex spine, and emergency neurosurgery and pain services. We are the regions specialist centre for spinal services and one of the largest in the country.
We are part of the Cheshire and Merseyside Major Trauma Centre, one of the most successful in the country for saving lives. Our catchment area covers 3.5 million people across Merseyside, Cheshire, North Wales, the Isle of Man and parts of Lancashire and Greater Manchester. We also accept referrals from Northern Ireland, Scotland and the Channel Islands.
We have a dedicated Neuroscience Research Centre which runs a range of research studies linking with partners in the industry, academia and the NHS.
Within theatres staff development is a priority and we have a dedicated Clinical Lead for Education Training and Development and as such we can offer opportunities to obtain further neuroscience qualifications.
Neurosurgical experience is desirable but not essential, we offer an excellent induction programme which includes supernumerary preceptorship to ensure competencies are achieved, plus you will have access to ongoing CPD and training opportunities provided by our dedicated theatre education team.
Main duties of the job
The Walton Centre theatres are now looking to expand our dedicated team by recruiting motivated, dynamic theatre practitioners who are committed to delivering excellent patient care. As the only hospital in the region dedicated to Neuroscience surgical specialities this is a fantastic opportunity for experienced theatre staff to expand their existing skills and knowledge within a diverse and challenging range of specialities.
As a department we focus on patient safety, excellence and staff well-being so we are looking for individuals who have these values at the centre of all they do. In return we offer a clearly defined training and development package.
As a dedicated major trauma centre and regional specialist surgical centre we provide a 24/7 emergency service and staff are required to participate in this cover.
The Main duties of this role are to be responsible for providing skilled clinical and technical assistance as a member of the operating theatre team and to participate in the assessment of patient care needs implementing and maintaining agreed standards of care. Following Codes of Professional Practice provide high quality care to patients undergoing treatment within the Peri-Operative Environment.
For more information contact Lead ODP David Phillips on 0151 556 3381 or email@example.com
The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust is the only NHS trust to hold dual accreditation for the Investors in People we invest in people and we invest in wellbeing standards and has been awarded Gold status for both. The Walton Centre is a leader in the treatment and care of neurology and neurosurgery, placing the patient and their family at the heart of everything we do. As the only specialist hospital trust in the UK dedicated to providing comprehensive neurology, neurosurgery, spinal and pain management services we are proud to be rated as an Outstanding Trust by the Care Quality Commission (CQC), and champion change throughout the field of neuroscience. Originally formed in 1992, the Trust received Foundation Trust status in 2009.
With around 1,450 staff, The Walton Centre treats more than 127,000 outpatients and 18,000 inpatients each year. We have leading specialists and incredibly dedicated staff delivering excellent clinical outcomes for brain, spinal and neurological care nationally and internationally. Teams across our site in Fazakerley, Liverpool, offer a world-class service in diagnosing and treating injuries and illnesses affecting the brain, spine and peripheral nerves and muscles, and in supporting people suffering from a wide range of long-term neurological conditions.
10 May 2023
Agenda for change
£27,055 to £32,934 a year
The Walton Centre
To be responsible for providing skilled clinical and technical assistance as a member of the operating theatre team and to participate in the assessment of patient care needs implementing and maintaining agreed standards of care. Following Codes of Professional Practice provide high quality care to patients undergoing treatment within the Peri-Operative Environment.
1. Assessing, planning, delivering and evaluation of patient care
2. Delegation and supervision of junior grades, unqualified and less experienced staff
3. Working with members of the Multi-Disciplinary Team following local protocols and standards
4. Awareness of the effective management of resources within the department
5. Participate in clinical trials and research when required
6. Provide a leadership role model, demonstrating specialist knowledge
and high standards of clinical practice and provide support or advice when necessary
- Plan and prepare equipment according to patients needs and procedures
- Maintain user competency for relevant equipment both existing and new
- Implement and evaluate care as appropriate to surgical requirement and patients condition
- Perform the necessary pre and post-op checks and adhere to the principles of the WHO checklist
- Monitoring and assessing patients condition, responding to changes in condition, proposing / making changes to care plan as required and escalating concerns as appropriate
- Directing and participating in the manoeuvring and the positioning of conscious and unconscious patients
- Handover and transferring responsibility of care to colleagues, ensuring appropriate information and care is relayed
- Supporting and re-assessing patients and relatives/carers during perioperative procedures
- Working within guidelines of NMC and HPC Codes of Practice depending upon registration
- To be aware of the management of drugs and to adhere to local policies and administer drugs as prescribed
- Maintaining accurate patient and theatre records, including electronic records
- Respond to and report untoward incidents as per policy
- After appropriate training / experience participate in out of hours shifts and on call as required
1. Monitoring and ordering of stocks and supplies, rotating expiry dates as necessary and notify senior members of staff when applicable
2. Supervision of HCAs, junior grades and less experienced staff within direct clinical area
3. After appropriate experience, lead a team when required during the shift session, ensuring a high standard of patient care is delivered
4. Contribute to the setting and audit of local standards and policies as part of professional development
5. To undertake any other duties that may be requested by your manager/supervisor in order to facilitate smooth running of the department
- Mentoring and co-mentoring of qualified and unqualified staff
- Assist with establishing the training needs of individual team members and contribute to professional development plans
- Delivery of orientation and induction to new and less experienced members of staff
- Responsible for maintaining and updating own clinical knowledge and skills
- Over time, become a confident expert in the field of neurosurgery within the scope of the role
Perform the necessary anaesthetic equipment checks prior to use and report any faults
Act as patients advocate prior to and during operation.
Assists anesthetists in the administration of general, regional and local anaesthetic monitoring patient condition as necessary
Be familiar and conversant with the full range of table attachments and other specialist equipment
To provide assistance in the ICU with regards to the maintenance of ventilators and any related anaesthetic skills required
Participate in the cardiac arrest / emergency response team after appropriate training and experience
Work within Interventional Radiology iMRI and the MRI/CT unit
Act as patients advocate in the post-operative recovery phase
Working without direct medical supervision to monitor patients postoperative condition.
Respond immediately to any changes in condition, provide treatment or report to senior member of staff as necessary
- Anaesthetic Practitioner
- ODP Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Operating Department Practice or equivalent
- Degree in Operating Department Practice
- ODA 752
- Scrub / Recovery as above OR:
- RN 1ST level Registration
- Diploma or Degree in related Health Care Studies
- PQF theatre modules as part of degree pathway
- Mentorship qualification
- D32 / 33
- EDCL or equivalent
- Post reg. study in Neuro specific area
- Demonstrate a multi-skilled clinical approach.
- Proven ability to deliver high standards of care.
- Computer literacy
- Good organizational skills
- Previous perioperative experience
- Previous neurosurgery experience
- Minimum of 1 year experience in associated position (acute care / ODP training)
- Proven Experience in similar role
- Knowledge of Health Care issues
Skills & Attributes
- Evidence of Professional and Personal Development.
- Liaise confidently and effectively with other disciplines.
- An understanding of Resource Management
- Enthusiasm to learn
- Organisational and Problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritise work/people
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust
The Walton Centre
https://www.thewaltoncentre.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)
The Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)