Retail Area Support Manager
Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent
This job is now closed
Do you have a commercial management background in Retail?
Do you want to develop your management skills and be part of a pro-active professional team?
Do you have a passion for working collaboratively in an environment thriving on positive change?
Do you want to experience a sense of achievement by knowing that every day you contribute to the provision of person-centred care?
If so, then the role of Retail Area Support Manager at Pilgrims may be just the job for you!
We are seeking well-motivated and forward-thinking professionals to join our team, in supporting the development and growth of our hospices across east Kent.
Main duties of the job
As a member of the Income Generation team, the successful candidate will be involved in corporate day-to-day activities supporting the quality, growth and success of a much valued charity.
Key duties include:
- Supporting the Area Managers to maximise income through people, resources and stock.
- Deputising for the Area Managers as required
- Supporting other shops in the area as required
- Supporting training in Gift Aid, Customer Service, Product awareness and processes and procedures across the Pilgrims Retail portfolio of shops
- Supporting and endorsing the aims of the charity
- Recognising and appropriately responding to the charity changes
- Actively contributing to service development
- Being involved in the supervision and education of retail shop colleagues and volunteers
- Undertaking role-specific projects
- Making recommendations for the development of and changes to working practices and processes as required
As an award-winning employer, Pilgrims provides end of life care services to patients and their families across east Kent.
Our commitment is to provide open, compassionate care and expertise for patients and their families – both in the community and in-patient units.
“Of a community where people with a terminal illness, and their family and friends, are supported and empowered to live well in mind and body until the very last moment of their life”.
As an Employer of Choice, our commitment to supporting our employees and volunteers is a key priority.
Our hospices offer:
- Modern, friendly and highly professional working environments
- Opportunities for professional development through a range of extensive learning
- Alignment with NHS pay rates and continuity in membership of the NHS pension scheme
- A sense of achievement in supporting a worthwhile cause
- A sense of wellbeing
- A good work-life balance
- Locations across well-populated areas of east Kent – all providing very good road and rail links
- NHS and financial discounts i.e. Blue Light Card
04 February 2022
£22,837 a year
56 London Road
To support the Area Managers to maximise income through people, resources and stock. To deputise for the Area manager as required (holidays etc.) To support training in Gift Aid, Customer Service, Product awareness and processes and procedures across the Pilgrims Retail portfolio of shops. To be an ambassador for Pilgrims Hospices, supporting and endorsing the aims of the organisation.
Sales & Profit
- Support the achievement of the overall budget for retail
- Assist with commercial decision making based on available data
- Demonstrate a standard of excellence at all times with regard to customer service, volunteer and supporter care
- Support Area Managers with ensuring that all Head Office directives are effectively implemented
- Develop and implement an effective training regime for staff and volunteers that includes, but is not limited to, Gift Aid, Customer Service, Stock Processing, Identifying key brands
- Work with shops to ensure Community links are developed in line with Pilgrims Hospices expectations.
- Regularly review High Street and Charity Retailers and report findings to Area Managers and Head of Retail.
- To work with the Area Manager on a competitive pricing strategy to ensure profit maximisation and train the team accordingly
Stock Management & Shop Standards
- Support with the generation of quality donations through area initiatives and ensure equitable distribution of stock to maximise income across all retail outlets
- Play an integral part in the achievement of KPI’s including processing rates, income, and stock rotation.
- With Area Managers, identify best practices and ensure these are trained in to all other stores
- On all shop visits, conduct ‘short audit’ and share findings with Shop Manager and Area Managers with a view to improving standards
Staff & Volunteers
- Provide support for the development of paid and volunteer staff across the whole portfolio of shops
- Coach staff to reach their full potential, support ‘Personal best’ program
- Develop and deliver tailored training for staff and Volunteers with particular attention to Gift Aid to help grow this revenue stream
- Assist with the recruitment of Volunteers to general or specialist roles
- Ensure that Volunteer communications are available at all times in all shops.
Health & Safety
- Support Area Managers with Health & Safety audits
- Ensure that all Pilgrims Hospices Health & Safety policies and procedures are adhered to at all times
- Support with the training of Manual Handling processes in all shops with particular attention to safe sorting.
Finances & Security
- Ensure Pilgrims Hospices policies for the control, reconciliation and banking of daily takings and periodic returns to the finance department are followed, ensuring security of data.
- Identify opportunities within the community to raise the profile of the shop and in turn bring in further income.
Management of policies and procedures
- To be aware of and comply with all Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent Health & Safety policies relating to the welfare and safety of volunteers and the operation of the shop and all items sold.
- Ensure Staff and Volunteers adhere to relevant Pilgrims Hospice policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all Staff & Volunteers respect the unique contribution of every individual and work positively in an equal opportunity and diverse environment
- To be aware of and comply with Trading Standards Legislation.
- To work with regional fundraisers to maximise the retailing and fundraising opportunities in the area and to promote Pilgrims Hospices.
- Retail sales experience at managerial level
- Be commercially aware
- Worked with or managed volunteers
- Charity shop experience
- Creative flair with an eye for detail and able to present stock to a high standard
- Good organisational and management skills
- Show an understanding of High Street Fashion, and current trends
- Numerate with IT Experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, personable and able to relate to volunteers
- A flexible and positive attitude
- A motivational team builder, who recognises potential in others
- Willingness to learn and seek advice
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent people skills
- Educated to good overall standard
- Have attended retail sector training courses
- Has a Retail Management NVQ
Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent
56 London Road
For questions about the job, contact:
Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent's privacy notice (opens in a new tab)