Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent
This job is now closed
Are you an experienced doctor thinking of a change in career or a doctor who wants to build a career in palliative care?
If so, then the role of Speciality Doctor at Pilgrims may be just the job for you!
Pilgrims Hospice provides expert palliative care to the people of East Kent. We have three in patient units at Ashford, Canterbury and Margate where our three multi-disciplinary community teams are based as well as our therapy centres.
We have some opportunities that have arisen in our medical team and are inviting applications for interested physicians. This would be ideal for experienced doctors thinking of a change in career, doctors who are considering a move to palliative medicine with a view to building a career in this speciality or doctors who feel some palliative care would be useful experience for their future career or have a wealth of experience within palliative medicine.
We have an active educational programme and as a training unit for specialist and general practice trainees can offer some excellent opportunities to develop skills and gain experience.
The posts will be based at Canterbury or Margate but there could be some flexibility if Ashford was the preferred site. Posts are available immediately, subject to pre-employment checks and are available on a full or part time basis.
Main duties of the job
- To provide clinical care and medical input to the multidisciplinary team for patients under the care of the Pilgrims Hospice, under the supervision of the named consultant (including hospice inpatients, community patients, outpatients, domiciliary visiting and patients attending Pilgrims Therapy Centre).
- To participate in the teaching, supervision and training of medical trainees and other professional staff working at the Pilgrims Hospice or attending courses run by the Pilgrims Hospices.
- To maintain a full programme of personal CPD in line with current recommendations. Please refer to the Hospice study leave policy
- To participate in annual appraisal and to work to the stated strategic direction and objectives of Pilgrims Hospices in East Kent.
- To undertake administrative tasks in support of the activity of the organisation.
- To be actively involved in an effective system of clinical audit and all other aspects of clinical governance.
- To support research undertaken by Pilgrims. We have a thriving research programme led by our research facilitator.
We recognise that our workforce is integral to the delivery of our Vision and our charitable aims. Pilgrims Hospices continues to create a highly skilled, motivated, engaged and healthy workforce by providing an environment where staff and volunteers feel highly motivated to perform their roles to a consistently high standard.
To achieve our Vision, we use our CODE:
Compassionate We treat everyone with compassion and care
Open We communicate openly, honestly and effectively
Dynamic We are dynamic, improving and developing our service
Empowered We empower people to achieve their outcomes
- Modern, friendly and highly professional working environments
- Opportunities for professional development through a range of extensive learning
- Alignment with NHS pay rates and continuity in membership of the NHS pension scheme
- A sense of achievement in supporting a worthwhile cause
- A sense of wellbeing
- A good work-life balance
- Locations across well-populated areas of east Kent – all providing very good road and rail links
- NHS and financial discounts i.e. Blue Light Card
Please refer to the Job Description document for more information on what the role of Speciality Doctor entails.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).