St Kentigern Hospice
The closing date is 08 July 2022
Are you looking for a new challenge? would you like to be part of our new venture in Caffi Cariad and to be part of a dynamic team, at the same time raising much needed funds for the hospice. This caffi is open to the public and is in great demand.
We cook every thing in-house and also cater for buffets, events, afternoon teas and at the same time provide food for staff and patients. This is a really exciting opportunity for someone with drive and passion for cooking.
Main duties of the job
We require a competent chef to join our existing catering team at the Hospice responsible for producing and serving of high quality meals for patients, staff and external customers. As one of our chef’s you will be managing all operational aspects of the kitchen and associated area ie dealing with deliveries/preparation/storage rooms working under the overall leadership of the Hospitality Manager
There is a team of 3 chefs, with excellent shift pattern working 8 am - 4pm and working rotational weekends - 1 in 3. At weekends you may be working by yourself.
The hospice is a lovely place to work, we work as a family and our aim is to provide a much needed service to all those in need.
There is free parking and subsidised food for staff.
The hospice has just had a complete refurbishment and is set in lovely surroundings in St Asaph on the former HM Stanley Hospital site.
Our aim is to be build the Caffi up so that we can open to the public 7 days a week.
Job Title: Chef
Responsible to: Hospitality Manager
Number of Job Holders 3 but will also be required to work on own on some shifts
2. ROLE OF DEPARTMENT
To provide a value for money catering service to individual patients and staff within the Hospice. To cook for Caffi Cariad. To ensure the provision of consistent quality Catering Service which can be demonstrated to be efficient and cost effective. To ensure that the Hospice meets all legal and statutory requirements in the provision of Catering Services. May be required to work on their own.
3. KEY RESULT AREAS
· Organise daily routine, including, preparation, cooking and service of a wide range of dishes for patients, staff, visitors , café users.
· Check deliveries of provisions for temperature, quality, quantity and specification
· Maintain all Cook Chill paperwork
· Check food being served to patients, customers and functions for quality, quantity and presentation and that it meets the patients requests.
· Checking that kitchen equipment is in working order and reporting any malfunctions to the hospitality Manager.
· Ensure the efficient use of resources within their control
· Maintenance of appropriate HACCP records
· Maintain, through supervision, instruction and example, high standards of personal and general food hygiene and cleanliness within the kitchen and associated areas.
This job description does not contain an exhaustive list of duties, and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties that are within the post holder’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed. The job description will be reviewed from time to time in order to adapt and develop the role according to service needs and Hospice policies.
4. KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO DO THE JOB
· NVQ level and 2
· Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate
· Numerate, Literate and practical
· Ability to cope with pressures of a busy kitchen knowledge or work procedures/practices and equipment for a catering service
· Knowledge of HACCP system
· Knowledge of COSHH
· Good communication skills
· Used to as part of a team
· Customer care skills
· Knowledge of basic Health and Safety
5. Health and Safety
It is the responsibility of all Staff to:
· Take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of themselves, colleagues, patients and visitors
· Report (without delay) any accidents, incidents, near-miss events, risks, faults of defects
· Use all work equipment ( dangerous substances, machinery, transport, means of production and safety equipment) in accordance with training and instructions provided
· Not use such items of equipment unless they have received appropriate information and training.
skills and abilities
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
St Kentigern Hospice
For questions about the job, contact:
20 June 2022
£24,000 a year