New Dover Road Surgery
The closing date is 12 December 2021
New Dover Road is a busy GP Practice in Canterbury. We are looking for 2 flexible, hard-working individuals to join our friendly Reception/Administration team. Although previous experience is an advantage, full training will be provided for anyone without prior experience.
We have 2 part-time positions available, one 16.5 hours and the other 19.5 hours. Both would be worked over 3 days, and both would involve one 6:30pm finish.
Main duties of the job
This position will involve face to face patient contact as well as speaking to patients over the telephone and dealing with the day to day administrative work generated by the Practice. A friendly, helpful person, good at problem solving and working well under pressure would be best suited to this role.
We are a medium sized practice serving the Canterbury population. We are a GP training practice. We pride ourselves on our friendly atmosphere and helpful attitude.
New Dover Road Surgery
JOB TITLE: RECEPTIONIST / ADMINISTRATOR
REPORTS TO: RECEPTION MANAGER
Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
- Filing post in medical records
- Photocopy/laminate as requested
- Acting upon tasks sent from GPs and other members of the Practice team
- Checking emails, passing on messages and following up tasks.
- Receiving patients and handling their queries
- Handling prescription queries and giving patients their completed
- Dealing with general enquiries, handing patients relevant paperwork etc
- Dealing with incoming post, emails etc and acting upon them accordingly
- Keeping the reception area tidy and well-organised
- Oversee the home visits list
- Be able to cover all reception positions as necessary
- Process appointment requests from patients appropriately
- Deal with visit requests
- Signpost to the best source of care
- Have a working knowledge of telephone system, during and after hours.
- Process all telephone requests and queries in a courteous and pleasant
- Registrations of new patients computer data entry and medical records.
- Process patients change of address computer data and medical records
- Scanning, emailing, access test results and medical summaries
- Sound working knowledge of Windows and other basic IT programmes.
Experience of EMIS and Docman an advantage, but training will be given
- Have a sound working knowledge of IT in order to be able to help solve or escalate IT problems as they occur within the surgery.
- Clear rooms after surgeries, including the waiting areas
- Ensure building security have thorough knowledge of doors/windows/alarm.
- Make coffee on a rota with other staff
- Any other tasks allocated by the manager or clinical staff
- To have a thorough knowledge of all practice procedures.
- To work in accordance of written protocols
In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others health, safety and security as defined in the practice health & safety policy, the practice health & safety manual, and the practice infection control policy and published procedures. This will include:
Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
Keeping own work areas and general / patient areas generally clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holders role
Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of peoples rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the teams performance
Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
Communicate effectively with other team members
Communicate effectively with patients and carers
Recognize peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the implementation of services:
The post-holder will:
Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
Participate in audit where appropriate
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
New Dover Road Surgery
For help with your application, contact:
18 November 2021