Specialist Practice Nurse Respiratory and Minor Ailments
Priory Medical Centre
This job is now closed
Practice Nurses assess, screen, treat and educate all sections of the community, from babies to older people. The successful candidate will provide nursing care to patients in a Primary care setting, supported by a team of experienced GPs, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Specialist Nurses and Practice Nurses.
At Priory Medical Group, all our employees should enjoy coming to work and enjoy feeling a part of the team! We will ensure you are provided with a clinical supervisor and a supportive network around you.
Main duties of the job
It is not essential (desirable only) for the successful candidate to have a proven background in a General Practice setting;
- Desirable: Specialist interest / experience in respiratory and minor ailments
- Demonstrate excellent communication and listening skills, so you can work with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Demonstrate patience and empathy, so you can gain the trust of patients with a variety of health issues.
- Registered General Nurse. Experience of chronic disease management, cervical screening, travel vaccinations, child immunisations (or a mixture of) preferred but not essential.
Are you a Practice Nurse looking for an opportunity to work with supportive colleagues in a team environment?
Do you have experience, or the desire to develop and specialise in, Respiratory and Minor Ailments?
If the answer is yes we have an exciting opportunity for you to join Priory Medical Group.
Primary Clinical Duties (This list is not exhaustive and may be subject to alteration, but the role includes all duties that may reasonably fall within the job purpose)
Accountable for the delivery of efficient, quality and evidence based clinical care in accordance to professional standards, guidelines and code of conduct (Safeguarding, Nursing and Midwifery Council, NICE, Local Authority Guidelines)
1.Management of Minor illness as detailed in current nurse protocols
2.Review and amendment of nurse protocols as required
3.If Nurse Prescriber, its the nurses responsibility to adhere to any guidelines, protocols or best practice associated with any such additional elements of their role
4.If the Nurse is asked to perform Implants, its the nurses responsibility to adhere to any guidelines, protocols or best practice associated with any such additional elements of their role
5.Chronic Disease Management including but not limited to:
b.Vascular Disease (including IHD/Stroke/PVD)
6.Family Planning including cervical cytology screening
7.Immunisations including but not limited to:
Current adult/adolescent protocols
Specific campaigns, e.g. Flu/Pneumovax
8.Part of Urgent Care Team with Doctor
9.Maintain stock of drugs and equipment
10.Advise nurse management of equipment failure/maintenance requirements
11.Contribute to QoF data collation as required
12.Record all Patient Contact on Practice Medical Record system in a timely manner
Secondary Clinical Duties. (This list is not exhaustive and may be subject to alteration, but the role includes all duties that may reasonably fall within the job purpose)
1.Routine Smear taking
2.Conduct New Patient Health Checks
4.Ear syringing (subject to review)
5.Perform monitoring of
Patient for whom we provide long term contraception
Other specific conditions
6.Management of minor injuries
8.Routine vaccinations and injections
9.Assist with coil and Implanon fitting and removal
10.Removal of Sutures
11.Record all Patient Contact on Practice Medical Record system in a timely manner
12.Removal of Sutures
Tertiary Duties (This list is not exhaustive and may be subject to alteration, but the role includes all duties that may reasonably fall within the job purpose)
1.Provide a phlebotomy service within a surgery setting.
2.Perform ECGs within a surgery and home setting
3.Take Blood Pressure measurements within surgery and home setting
4.Perform urine dip tests within a surgery setting
5.Perform simple wound dressings
6.Assist Doctors with Minor Operations
7.Provide general support to the District Nursing teams as well as providing a home-based phlebotomy service for Priory Medical Group patients under the direct of a District Nurse.
Clinical Care Administration
Accountable for ensuring efficient, appropriate and accurate patient record entries:
1.Patient Records - Accurate, efficient and appropriate Record Keeping
2.Use of templates Accurate, efficient and appropriate use of templates
3.Protocols - Accurate, efficient and appropriate use of protocols
4.QOF - Accurate, efficient and appropriate use of QOF
1.Accountable for maintaining a clean, safe and efficient health care environment for the patient (i.e. Maintenance of Treatment Room Stock and/or Drug Expiry Dates)
2.Maintaining clinical Best Practice and knowledge share: Responsible for maintaining / updating clinical knowledge and skills as required too deliver clinical best practice by attending appropriate training events. To contribute to the development of other team members clinical skills by offering clinical support and mentorship as necessary within the Practice
3.Planned and Unplanned Cover: To contribute in maintaining the levels of service expected of our patients and the Practice in achieving its goals by taking a fair share of covering colleagues planned and unplanned absence
4.To ensure any CQC requirements and/or documentation for which the post holder is responsible for is completed timely and accurately. To also ensure any procedures and processes applicable to the role are followed timely and accurately.
5.To ensure you devote the whole of your time, attention and abilities to your role, our business and its goals
6.Such other reasonable duties as may be delegated from time to time.
- Team Work: Work effectively and professionally within the wider Practice clinical team, a local surgery team and as an urgent care team through willingness to proactively support and assist their peers and colleagues.
- Autonomous: Ability to work independently by making informed decisions based on professional knowledge and clinical judgement. Whilst also having the ability to recognise when a problem / issue should be escalated or referred for specialist investigation because it falls outside of the scope of the role and your professional knowledge.
- Can-Do Attitude: Ability to react to and face challenges or setbacks in a positive manner with a commitment to continuous improvement of their own skills and behaviours and also of the service
- Customer Service: Ability to remain focussed on providing and continuously improving an excellent patient and internal customer service
- Deadline / Target Driven: Ability to work efficientlyand to strict deadlines. To be driven by the setting and achieving of individual and team targets
- Attention to Detail: Ability to gather, process, analyse and input large volumes of information to deadlines whilst maintaining highest levels of attention to detail
- Confidentiality: Ability to exercise and adhere to the Practice confidentiality policies
Work Prioritisation: Ability to organise, prioritise and manage your own work demands by assessing levels of urgency and importance
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Priory Medical Centre
26 March 2021