Practice HR Manager
Elmwood Family Doctors
This job is now closed
This is an exciting opportunity to join a friendly and forward thinking GP Practice located in modern facilities in the picturesque heart of Yorkshire.
We are looking for an experienced HR Manager to join our management team. You will be experienced in day-to-day operational HR matters, including recruitment, appraisals, employee relations, training and HR administration. You will ideally also have experience of working within GP Practice, but this is not essential.
You will work within a friendly and supportive management team and will be responsible for managing our HR function and looking after the best interests of our staff through implementation of policies, delivery of training and provision of support and wellbeing initiatives.
To the right candidate, we are offering flexibility in relation to hours of work, a competitive salary (dependent on experience), and a generous pension provision. We hope to hear from you!
Main duties of the job
A full job description is provided below, but in brief the main duties of the role will include the responsibility for day-to-day management of our HR function and support of our staff including:
- Maintaining and updating contracts and policies;
- Overseeing recruitment processes, including design and placement of advertisements, shortlisting and interviewing;
- Preparing and delivering our annual training plan;
- Conducting appraisals and developing policies and training to drive strong performance across our team;
- Conducting fair and consistent HR processes to manage absences, poor performance, capability and disciplinary issues as and when they arise;
- HR administration including overseeing staff rotas and holiday calendar.
You will work with the Operations Manager to ensure appropriate staffing levels across the Practice and to line manage non-clinical staff including the Practice Administrators, Secretaries, Receptionists and Cleaners.
You will receive support from the Practice Administrators in connection with HR administration matters such as planning rotas, organising cover, managing the holiday calendar and identifying training needs.
The HR Manager role will form part of our collegiate and supportive management team, which consists of our GP Partners, Practice Business Manager, Operations Manager and Finance Manager. The management team meets regularly to ensure good communication across the team on strategic and day to day matters, to share ideas and ensure consistency of management approach. Outside of planned meetings, the management team is friendly and approachable and encourages regular discussions and a supportive way of working.
The HR Manager will work closely with the management team, particularly the Operations Manager, to ensure appropriate staffing levels across the practice, provide support to staff and ensure good communication. The HR Manager and Operations Manager line manage and are assisted by the Practice Administrators in connection with day-to-day administrative matters such as rota planning.
Our ethics include putting people at the heart of what we do, whether that is our patients or our staff. The wellbeing of our staff is important to us and we do our best to offer flexibility and work-life balance. The HR Manager role is advertised at 22.5 hours per week to allow flexibility to the candidate in connection with the pattern of hours worked.
Elmwood Family Doctors is a large, modern GP Practice split across two sites. Our Holmfirth site is refurbished with excellent facilities. Our Meltham site is in the heart of the local village community. We offer a full range of healthcare services to approximately 15,000 patients across both sites.
The successful candidate will meet weekly with the management team to keep informed, suggest changes and implement new procedures and protocols with regards to staffing and in line with the strategical direction and operation of the Practice. To assist with this, it is vital that the candidate has excellent communication skills and highly desirable that they have experience of working within NHS care.
The job description for the role of HR Manager is attached separately, but includes key responsibilities in the following areas:
- Contracts, HR Policies and Procedures – keeping our contracts of employment, policies and procedures up to date with regular reviews and ensuring that key terms are communicated to staff, and appropriate training provided where necessary.
- Recruitment – preparing job advertisements, job descriptions and person specifications for all roles, short-listing and interviewing candidates for non-clinical roles, and supporting in short-listing and interviewing candidates for clinical roles.
- Induction – all administration work surrounding new starters, including offer letters, contracts of employment, reference and DBS checks, introduction to key policies and procedures, and training where appropriate.
- Training – preparing a coherent training plan for the Practice in line with Practice strategic direction and CQC requirements, including monthly PPT sessions, providing ongoing training for administrative staff on all aspects of their role.
- Line Management – support the Operations Manager in line management of the Practice Administrators, Secretaries, Reception and Cleaners.
- Appraisals and Performance – developing policies and training to drive strong staff performance, conducting appraisals for Secretaries and Cleaners. Supporting the Operations Manager in conducting appraisals for the Practice Managers and Reception team where required. Supporting the Staff Partner in conducting appraisals for clinical staff where required.
- Employee Relations – following fair and consistent processes to manage absences, poor performance, capability issues and disciplinary matters. Conducting informal meetings. Carrying out investigations where required. Chairing or supporting in formal meetings as required. Liaise with external agencies on matters of misconduct where necessary.
- Relationship Management – ensuring good communication and good relationships across the Practice, supporting with dispute resolution where required, following fair and appropriate grievance procedures where necessary.
- Staffing Levels – ensuring business continuity through appropriate staffing levels, responding to urgent issues as they arise. Overview and maintenance of staff rota and holiday calendar, with support from Practice Administrators.
- Administration – digitising and maintaining up to date individual staff files, ensuring records kept of meetings, changes to hours, contract changes, etc. Creating and updating a HR calendar for one off and recurring events. Organising staff social events, with support from Practice Administrators.
This is not an exhaustive list. The successful candidate may be required to undertake additional or alternative duties which are commensurate with the level of skill and responsibility of the role.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.